• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Topless in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ClariceS

What is the name of your state? West Seneca, New York
Do I have the right to sit out in my backyard or do some gardening
topless. I wouldn't be seen from the street. There is a 6 foot privacy fence
to the right of my property and unless a certain someone peeks over or through the fence I would only be seen by a few neighbors who are from Europe and have no problem with me being topless.
How about if I have some friends over for a party and we do happen to be seen from the street {although we would try hard not to be seen}
What are my topless rights.

S

seniorjudge

New York
(Exposure of a person)

Appearance in a public place with private or intimate parts unclothed or exposed. "For purposes of this section, the private or intimate parts of a female person shall include that portion of the breast which is below the top of the areola. This section shall not apply to the breastfeeding of infants or to any person entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment."

Penalty:
15 days, $250

There remains a question of whether or not that portion of Sec. 245.01 prescribing exposure of the female breast (and not the male) is unconstitutional discrimination because of gender.

BelizeBreeze

seniorjudge said:
New York
There remains a question of whether or not that portion of Sec. 245.01 prescribing exposure of the female breast (and not the male) is unconstitutional discrimination because of gender.
Have you SEEN some of the tits out there. It should be a crime even with a bra

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Have you SEEN some of the tits out there. It should be a crime even with a bra
Send all available photos. I will give you my assessment then.

badapple40

I'd like you to post the photos... it could be intentional infliction of emotional distress.... or something... or wait... my wife wouldn't like that... or... or...

You didn't really post this question, did you?

LegalCurious

Question for SeniorJudge ....

This thread sparked my interest, so I did some exploring on the internet and came across Judge Titone's opinion in "People of NY, v. Santorelli" 1992, which seemed to conclude that the bare breast provision of NY 245.01 was found unconstitional, and therefore unenforceable. (or at least that's what I understood from it).

I would have thought that the supreme court ruling would have settled the matter. Yet above, you cite this law, mentioning that now, 12 or so years later, there is still controversy over it.

What's the real disposition of this and why is the matter still unresolved?

BelizeBreeze

New York 245.00, Public lewdness. A person is guilty of public lewdness when he intentionally exposes the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits any other lewd act (a) in a public place, or (b) in private premises under circumstances in which he may readily be observed from either a public place or from other private premises, and with intent that he be so observed. 245.01, Exposure of a person.

A person is guilty of exposure if he appears in a public place in such a manner that the private or intimate parts of his body are unclothed or exposed. For purposes of this section, the private or intimate parts of a female person (People v. Santorelli limits this to commercial situations) shall include that portion of the breast which is below the top of the areola.

This section shall not apply to the breastfeeding of infants or to any person entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.

LegalCurious

I must say that I am truly confused ...

The articles I found led me to understand that there were two cases; People v. Price, and People v. Santorelli. The first being prosecuted against the original version of the law enacted in 1967, and the second prosecuted against the revised law adopted in 1983. (There evidently were others, but these are the principle two as best as I can tell).

In People v. Price, it was found that the law did not apply because the original intent of that law was to prohibit topless waitresses, and so it was held that it could only apply to commercial interests. (I didn't quite follow why, but okay ...) This commercial specific limitation was removed in the 1983 revision of the act, which intended to outlaw lewd behavior for all circumstances.

Santorelli challenged the revised law - NOT on the grounds of whether lewd behavior should be permitted, but rather, on the grounds of whether female toplessness is in fact lewd. She argued that if it is not lewd for a man, then it is not lewd for a woman either, and that the part of the law which defined it as such constituted gender discrimination.

I for one, think the argument is absurd, but my opinion doesn't matter. The court, whose opinion does matter, agreed with Santorelli; thereby creating case law which (whether you or I like it or not) makes it legal for a woman to expose herself from the waist up, anywhere where a man would be legally able to do so ... which in our society is literally anywhere. (Even in private establishments which enforce a dress code, the most they can do is throw you out - you can't be arrested for it.)

Moreover, since it was the definition portion of the law that was struck down, I'd expect it to apply to all aspects of the law, both the commercial and personal provisions. And even if that weren't so, the finding would have to at least apply to the Santorelli case itself, which was personal. So how could it apply only to commercial situations as BelizeBreeze says?

Yet in practice, its not possible for women to go topless in New York. They do get arrested. Just the other day, my wife read in the newspaper about a woman who was arrested for wearing a blouse in an NY Restaurant that was "too shear". And it seems I remember other cases as well over the past few years including a celebrity who was fined for exposing her breasts ... (wouldn’t that count as commercial?)

So what am I missing? Did I go wrong somewhere in the facts above? BelizeBreeze quotes the law like it's absolute, as though the Supreme Court had never ruled on it; while seniorjudge says "There remains a question of whether <it's> unconstitutional ..." But I don't see what's questionable about it. It seems to have been ruled-on point blank. So why are women still being arrested for going topless?

I mean hey, I can understand that a lot of people might not be happy about the ruling ... to argue that there's no difference between a bare chested man and a bare breasted woman is ludicrous ... But if that's what the law is, then that's what we must live by! We can't have people being arrested for doing something that's been ruled legal just because some officer thinks it ought to be illegal ... What kind of a system is that?

So I'm back to my original question: Can anybody explain any legal basis for continued enforcement 245.01 for mere mammary exposure? What's the problem?

=====

As for BelizeBreeze's links ...

Aren't these a bit off-point? Nobody is contending that public fornication is (or should be) legal. Prosecution for such offenses is right and proper. What we're talking about here, is whether a woman can go topless, nothing else.

If you refer back to the top of the thread, ClariceS only wanted to know if she could go topless in her own backyard; And that's not the same thing by a long shot as public fornication. The reason why its not the same thing (for anyone who can't see that for themselves) is ultimately because the Supreme Court said so.

S

seniorjudge

LegalCurious said:
...Just the other day, my wife read in the newspaper about a woman who was arrested for wearing a blouse in an NY Restaurant that was "too shear".
That's kind of a cutting remark....

LegalCurious

I was hoping for more than a quip over a typo … especially from you, seniorjudge, since it was you who prompted my research in the first place by your remark that the matter was still open to question. It piqued my curiosity … what were the arguments on each side?

What I discovered is that the law seems to be all on one side, with the other side consisting entirely of individuals expressing moral outrage. Or at least that’s all I could find.

It may have sounded in my earlier post, like I was arguing to make some point. But my purpose was simply to lay out the facts as concisely as I could, so we could discuss it from a common understanding.

If there was a point, its that as far as I can tell, the matter isn’t currently open to question in any legal respect … yet we don’t see women sunning themselves topless in public parks as they do in Europe (at least I haven’t seen any) … and its not because we don’t have any women in our population who would; its because the odd cases that do come up result in arrests.

I can’t believe law enforcement is disregarding actual law merely because they disagree with it; Clearly, something else must going on, and I was hoping someone could shed some light on what that something else might be.

ENASNI

um

do not Whip Da Judge on his Quips it was just a funny.

Get a sense of humor or you are destined to blow up a bank or something... jeesh.

THis is about going around topless... or not... get a real cause... save some bunnies or something...

M

meganproser

Where can I find the list of approved "real causes"? I wouldn't want to bother anyone here with my interest in the "unreal laws".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">