• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with Lawyers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Agnes Dei

What is the name of your state? Oregon
Here's my case, My brother died several years ago and out of the blue a Lawyer got ahold of my living brother and myself. He said that the deceased brother was owed quite a sum of money from a house he had put a down on and we needed to collect from his clients. We went through all the hoops, and signed away everything, and when the payment came due, NO PAYMENT. We signed papers stating that the cloud be lifted from the title of the house, and we would receive this money. When I contacted the lawyer ... he wrote himself off the case and said ... "Well there's nothing I can do. I won't represent you and that's that." SO we signed papers for the court through this lawyer and NOTHING was our answer. When I tried to write the lawyer and contact his clients, he said, "They didn't come in to pay, it's not my problem." This is a semi-famous lawyer working out of Carmel, California, not some crack pot attorney. He's written several books ... so we didn't get the bums rush from a common crook ... or did we?
Confused

rmet4nzkx

I'm sory for your loss.
It is not clear exactly what your are claiming happened or your legal standing. Did you sign some sort of release? Was this related to probate? Where did this take place? It osunds like this attorney was representing someone else and not you? Did you have an attorney review these papers before you signed them?
If you feel you have a case take it to an attorney for review. If you feel that you were mislead by this attorney in Carmel California contact the Bar association in Monterey county for fee disputes http://www.montereycountybar.org
or the state Bar for ethics complaints
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_home.jsp

Agnes Dei

Thank You for your reply

rmet4nzkx said:
I'm sory for your loss.
It is not clear exactly what your are claiming happened or your legal standing. Did you sign some sort of release? Was this related to probate? Where did this take place? It osunds like this attorney was representing someone else and not you? Did you have an attorney review these papers before you signed them?
If you feel you have a case take it to an attorney for review. If you feel that you were mislead by this attorney in Carmel California contact the Bar association in Monterey county for fee disputes http://www.montereycountybar.org
or the state Bar for ethics complaints
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_home.jsp
My deceased brother had his friend (a couple) sign a note for the $ he had given (loaned) them for a down on a house. Until they paid off his debt to his heirs (my older brother and me) they had a cloud on their property. The lawyer representing them, wrote us and said that his money was owed us and that all we had to do was sign off of the house so they could have the cloud lifted and we would receive our money. We did all that they asked. IN the end they claimed they didn't have the money, and after doing all this to interrupt our lives, they never paid. When we contacted the lawyer, he simply said ... "I did my part, too bad for you I am no longer affiliated with this case" When I inquired if he made his fee from them, he became very nervous and hung up on me. They claimed to owe us $30,000.00 ... but in reality we find it was $300,000.00, the exact amount my brother received from his inheritance. Sad but true. My brother believes these people are extremely dangerous and that we should let it go. My brother died in these people's garage where he was living under suspicious circumstances. We'll never know the truth, and we'll never see any of the money. Thank you for the answers for writing about the lawyer's conduct. It was bad. My ex-husband worked for attoneys in L.A. for 8 years and my daughter a graduate of a prestigious university is entering law school next year. So we are not ignorant of the law. I just needed to have some closure. Again Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">