• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to get my son's legal docs from a boarding school.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadCow76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When my son was 14 he ran afoul of the law and he was sent to a boarding school/ranch in order to turn his life around. My son is now 18 and has returned home and would like to finish high school at a normal school, as well as start looking for work. When he came home the school kept his Passport, Birth Certificate(they had it to get him a passport) and his school transcripts.

Since early January we have made no less than 20 phone calls and sent no less than 10 emails to the school in an attempt to recover these items as they are crucial to my son moving on with his life.

What, if anything, can I do to move this along?

Thanks,
Cow

Just Blue

When my son was 14 he ran afoul of the law and he was sent to a boarding school/ranch in order to turn his life around. My son is now 18 and has returned home and would like to finish high school at a normal school, as well as start looking for work. When he came home the school kept his Passport, Birth Certificate(they had it to get him a passport) and his school transcripts.

Since early January we have made no less than 20 phone calls and sent no less than 10 emails to the school in an attempt to recover these items as they are crucial to my son moving on with his life.

Thanks,
Cow
Where was this "school"? Why did they require a Passport? Please define "running afoul of the law"? Was this "school" per a Criminal Court Order or just you, as a parent, trying to help your child?

Please answer all my questions as I want to assist you.

Thanks
Blue

CSO286

Alternatively once coulsd simply request a new copy of the BC and contact the State dept re: replacing the passport. Child is over 18, it would have to be done anyway.

Indiana Filer

And, if this young man re-enrolls in school, the school will contact the previous school (aka the boarding school) to request the official transcripts. Will the local school allow him to enroll since he is now a legal adult? I seriously don't know if the school will, which is why I'm asking. I'm not being a smart aleck.

Silverplum

Thanks,
Cow
There's Something Large missing from this story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">