• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it typical for a judge to threaten to fine the victim if new charges are filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalancedGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I was harassed by someone over a period of time through physical contact that caused me pain. There were two police reports for this on 2 of the incidents. I filed charges against the individual and the case was brought before the judge in a summary trial. I told the judge that this has been happening over time, with the past 2 being only days apart, and that the incidents had caused me pain, possibly tendon damage. The judge said the case was ridiculous, and if he saw me before him again, he would fine me. Would it be typical for the victim to be fined for filing charges for a new incident? The individual showed no remorse regarding this, and seems likely to repeat it. If the judge is callous to the situation, should the police be even notified again if a new incident occurs? I'm concerned about getting a new injury and was told I would be fined for basically filing a new charge.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I was harassed by someone over a period of time through physical contact that caused me pain. There were two police reports for this on 2 of the incidents. I filed charges against the individual and the case was brought before the judge in a summary trial. I told the judge that this has been happening over time, with the past 2 being only days apart, and that the incidents had caused me pain, possibly tendon damage. The judge said the case was ridiculous, and if he saw me before him again, he would fine me. Would it be typical for the victim to be fined for filing charges for a new incident? The individual showed no remorse regarding this, and seems likely to repeat it. If the judge is callous to the situation, should the police be even notified again if a new incident occurs? I'm concerned about getting a new injury and was told I would be fined for basically filing a new charge.
I'm curious - how did this alleged harassment cause you physical pain, i.e. possibly tendon damage?

If there was a physical incident, then the police should be called. It wouldn't be harassment, but probably along the lines of assault or battery.

The judge may have thought your allegations were ridiculous because they couldn't see how this alleged harassment led to physical pain, just like I don't understand. Yes, if they think that you are filing frivolous lawsuits against someone, the judge could hold you in contempt. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to build a solid case and show how this alleged harassment caused you this pain, and why it's the defendant's fault that you got hurt.

I'm curious - how did this alleged harassment cause you physical pain, i.e. possibly tendon damage?

If there was a physical incident, then the police should be called. It wouldn't be harassment, but probably along the lines of assault or battery.

The judge may have thought your allegations were ridiculous because they couldn't see how this alleged harassment led to physical pain, just like I don't understand. Yes, if they think that you are filing frivolous lawsuits against someone, the judge could hold you in contempt. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to build a solid case and show how this alleged harassment caused you this pain, and why it's the defendant's fault that you got hurt.

Along with answering Sandy's questions, how has this person harassed you over the last 2 years?

BalancedGuy

Thanks for your response. The incidents happen when I'm out for a walk, and the other person collides into me. I dismissed the first few as accidents, but when he started running towards me as if he was charging into me and then slamming into me, I realized he had gone too far. I do not know the person, or why he does this. I initially filed the charges under assault, but was told they would not accept that charge, but they would accept harassment since it occurred more than once. So I re-filed the charges as harassment. I told the judge that it seemed like he was trying to knock me over when he went from a walk to a run right before me and then slammed into me. Even though he started to run towards me when he saw me, he told the judge that he was looking at photos on his cell phone. Usually people say excuse me or something if they bump into another by accident, but this person showed no remorse, and continued to do it again days later. This person clearly saw me, and then charged into me. I explained all of this to the judge, as well as the police officer in the report. My concern is he seems likely to repeat charging into me, and then say he was on the phone again. I do not wish to break any bones if he does manage to knock me over. He does this intentionally, and I may not see him coming. I don't want to file any frivolous suits, but if my safety is at risk, I feel that I should be able to contact the police without being fined when he charges into me again.

sandyclaus

Thanks for your response. The incidents happen when I'm out for a walk, and the other person collides into me. I dismissed the first few as accidents, but when he started running towards me as if he was charging into me and then slamming into me, I realized he had gone too far. I do not know the person, or why he does this. I initially filed the charges under assault, but was told they would not accept that charge, but they would accept harassment since it occurred more than once. So I re-filed the charges as harassment. I told the judge that it seemed like he was trying to knock me over when he went from a walk to a run right before me and then slammed into me. Even though he started to run towards me when he saw me, he told the judge that he was looking at photos on his cell phone. Usually people say excuse me or something if they bump into another by accident, but this person showed no remorse, and continued to do it again days later. This person clearly saw me, and then charged into me. I explained all of this to the judge, as well as the police officer in the report. My concern is he seems likely to repeat charging into me, and then say he was on the phone again. I do not wish to break any bones if he does manage to knock me over. He does this intentionally, and I may not see him coming. I don't want to file any frivolous suits, but if my safety is at risk, I feel that I should be able to contact the police without being fined when he charges into me again.
Here's a thought - if the guy is running towards you, move out of the way before you collide. Or carry a drink or something else spillable with you so that the guy avoids you.

What you have said doesn't even REMOTELY ring as harassment. It sounds like you are on his running route and the two of you are vying over position on the sidewalk. You refuse to move, and he runs into you. Running into you like that won't cause tendon damage. You might have a few bumps and bruises, but that's it.

Here's a thought - if the guy is running towards you, move out of the way before you collide. Or carry a drink or something else spillable with you so that the guy avoids you.

What you have said doesn't even REMOTELY ring as harassment. It sounds like you are on his running route and the two of you are vying over position on the sidewalk. You refuse to move, and he runs into you. Running into you like that won't cause tendon damage. You might have a few bumps and bruises, but that's it.
^^^like

Can you walk somewhere else and avoid any further confrontation?

BalancedGuy

This person does not usually run. He only runs when he sees me and then runs into me. I do move to the side, but he runs towards me. I explained to the judge that I have always moved to the side when I saw him approaching. There are trees, bushes, ditches, and other items on one side, and an active road on the other side. The sidewalk is typically only on one side, so I would need to walk down an active street to walk around him. There is limited area to move to. This person was clearly doing this intentionally, since he stopped running after he slammed into me. If you do not call it harassment, I'd like to know what you would call it if someone intentionally causes you pain, and then essentially laughs at it as he walks off. My shoulder was stiff for a few weeks afterwards, and I still feel discomfort in it over 2 months later. As I stated, my concern is that he will likely repeat this, and it is not due to him jogging and me refusing to move out of the way. He intentionally ran into me. If he does manage to knock me over and cause bones to be broken or so, would you still disregard it? Like I stated, I dismissed the first few as accidents, but he got more aggressive and forceful each time. I am now concerned that he will repeat this, and I will have to deal with the broken bones with a callous judge telling me he will fine me if I do file new charges. I am not that young, I am bit past middle aged, and I'm concerned broken bones would take several months to heal.

BalancedGuy

^^^like

Can you walk somewhere else and avoid any further confrontation?
I have considered that, but I prefer to do the walks in short amounts. The times he has collided with me, I was either next to my home or a block away, so it would be likely that I would still encounter him.

Dave1952

These collisions, as you describe them, are not harassment. This is assault. Call the cops the next time it happens and see what they think.

LdiJ

I have considered that, but I prefer to do the walks in short amounts. The times he has collided with me, I was either next to my home or a block away, so it would be likely that I would still encounter him.
Then start doing the walks at a completely different time of the day.

Proserpina

I'm going to ask OP to give me a bit of a break here.

Judge: Why are we all here today?

OP: This crazy person keeps running into me on purpose

Judge: Other Runner - is this true?

OR: It most certainly is not, your Honor! This person is crazy - s/he keeps making up stories every time she trips, I guess, to save face

Judge: OP, do you have any independent witnesses to these alleged events? Convictions? Anything?

OP: Unfortunately not, your Honor

Judge: Case dismissed. If I see you here again without actual evidence there will be sanctions.

OP, see how differently this can read?

BalancedGuy

These collisions, as you describe them, are not harassment. This is assault. Call the cops the next time it happens and see what they think.
Thanks for your response. I initially filed the complaint under assault, but was told that they would not accept that charge, but they would consider an harassment charge. So my complaint against him was re-filed for harassment. Perhaps, it is something specific to my state - PA. The problem though lies in that the judge thinks this person's harassment/assault of me is a ridiculous complaint, and said he would fine me if I came before him again. Even though it seemed clear he did this intentionally by two consecutive incidents of striking me, with a police report for each incident, along with the times he did this before. Apparently, he would consider that contempt of court based on others' responses. The problem lies in that he has no problems lying to the judge or the police, and I'm surprised that the judge did not realize an inconsistency in his testimony, as well as now that he realizes he can get away with something he does intentionally, he won't limit his actions in the future.

RRevak

I don't think there are words adequate enough to describe the sheer ridiculousness of this. Op here's a thought, GROW UP! Find a new route, walk at a different time of day, get a hobby, SOMETHING productive besides filing frivolous suits and wasting both law enforcement officers and judges time. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">