• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unhappy customer now charged for harassment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taylortc

State: Alabama
Upon trying to return an item to a Fossil retail store that I had just purchased an hour before and still had the receipt for, I was told that they could not complete such a transaction due to their systems being down. I told the cashier that I see that other customers are being rung up for their purchases, seems like their systems are functioning. The manager ended up being called and of course I explained my situation to her. Ended up not getting a refund and was told to come back the following business day (two days later). Of course I was upset...but I wasnt crazy lady on youtube flying off the handle about being out of chicken nuggets upset. I stepped outside the store momentarily to make a phone call then proceeded to my car. The manager I had just spoken to was walking out as well. She commented that I must be hard up for money to fight so hard for a refund. I told her it is days from being Christmas, I still have people to buy for, don't live in the area and I was very inconvenienced. She made smart comments, I made smart comments then she stated that I was following her and she was going to call security. I told her that we are walking the same direction into a parking lot, how could I be sure SHE wasnt following ME. We bickered while carrying on our way then I got into my car. I pull to the end of the row and she has blocked it off. So I, not having time to play games, cut around her and drove off. 8 months later I find out that there is a warrant for my arrest for harassment. This lady has made some charge against me, stating that I caused her to fear for her life and the life of her unborn child. I was denied a public defender due to income but truly cannot afford a lawyer. Just looking for some advice. How can I get out of this ridiculous mess?

quincy

State: Alabama
Upon trying to return an item to a Fossil retail store that I had just purchased an hour before and still had the receipt for, I was told that they could not complete such a transaction due to their systems being down. I told the cashier that I see that other customers are being rung up for their purchases, seems like their systems are functioning. The manager ended up being called and of course I explained my situation to her. Ended up not getting a refund and was told to come back the following business day (two days later). Of course I was upset...but I wasnt crazy lady on youtube flying off the handle about being out of chicken nuggets upset. I stepped outside the store momentarily to make a phone call then proceeded to my car. The manager I had just spoken to was walking out as well. She commented that I must be hard up for money to fight so hard for a refund. I told her it is days from being Christmas, I still have people to buy for, don't live in the area and I was very inconvenienced. She made smart comments, I made smart comments then she stated that I was following her and she was going to call security. I told her that we are walking the same direction into a parking lot, how could I be sure SHE wasnt following ME. We bickered while carrying on our way then I got into my car. I pull to the end of the row and she has blocked it off. So I, not having time to play games, cut around her and drove off. 8 months later I find out that there is a warrant for my arrest for harassment. This lady has made some charge against me, stating that I caused her to fear for her life and the life of her unborn child. I was denied a public defender due to income but truly cannot afford a lawyer. Just looking for some advice. How can I get out of this ridiculous mess?
You posted your question in the Civil Litigation section of the forum - but it appears you are criminally charged with a Class C misdemeanor rather than being sued for harassment. The prosecutor apparently believes there is evidence enough to support the charge against you.

Here is a link to Alabama's law on harassment: http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/13A-11-8.htm

And here is a link to the possible penalties if convicted (with jail time also a possibility): http://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-13a-criminal-code/al-code-sect-13a-5-12.html

You have the option of pleading not guilty or you can plead guilty or you can plead no contest, based on what you believe the state has in the way of evidence against you. You could try to find some free legal assistance in your area but most legal aid clinics offer free help for civil actions and not criminal actions.

Last edited:

taylortc

thank you for the information. if i plead guilty, it will go on my record and i will pay a $500 fine, plus court costs i suppose. i believe i will just go that route. i do feel that this is an asinine situation but, to save time and aggravation i feel its best to just plead guilty. i appreciate your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not your question but just FYI, the system to ring people up and the system to process a refund is not necessarily the same. It's not outside the realm of possibility that one is up and the other is down.

taylortc

i realize that could be a possibility. although, the first lady i spoke with mentioned that they were only able to do refunds for "certain situations". That was my reason for questioning her, and then her manager.
and also, i wasnt necessarily looking for a cash refund, i am actually pretty sure i paid with a card, as i most always do. so i only expected it to be refunded back to the card. either way, this was nothing huge for this lady to have gotten so insane over. anyway, thanks for the help.

quincy

i realize that could be a possibility. although, the first lady i spoke with mentioned that they were only able to do refunds for "certain situations". That was my reason for questioning her, and then her manager.
and also, i wasnt necessarily looking for a cash refund, i am actually pretty sure i paid with a card, as i most always do. so i only expected it to be refunded back to the card. either way, this was nothing huge for this lady to have gotten so insane over. anyway, thanks for the help.
I recommend that you discuss with an attorney in your area all of the consequences if you plead guilty to the harassment charge. You should try to avoid having a misdemeanor conviction on your record, if it is at all possible to do this.

Good luck. We all appreciate the thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">