• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjust enrichment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eskyone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.
It seems that approx in 2007 my wife began to embezzle money from the business she managed. The business owner has outlined his case rather well, I’ve seen the documents, the total amount is somewhere near 50000. My wife’s attorney may have a plea agreement in place next week, a pretty good deal according to him. Sitting in on the meeting between my wife and her attorney, it was brought to my attention that I may be named in a civil lawsuit. The victim’s attorney has stated that I was unjustly enriched by her embezzlement. I had no knowledge of her criminal activities, was not named in the criminal complaint. My wife contends that she did not steal the amount they are claiming. I certainly didn’t see any new cars or items in my home while this was going on. In fact financially at this same time my wife almost ruined us. She has recently been diagnosed with mental health issues and is being treated for them. Looking at the evidence presented by the victim, I may have unknowingly received some of the money she stole. Keep in mind these are small amounts, all equaled generally less than 200 dollars. My wife may have also paid some house bills with money from the victims business. My question is this, is there a legal argument that I can make to fight this? What defense do I make to prevent me from being on the hook for the whole amount? Is there anything that I should be doing to get my defense in order? I spoke to an attorney and he said to give him a call when and If I’m served. ???? One other item that may be important, the victim may agree to a plea deal – attempted less than 20,000. This agreement is only if my wife agrees to the full amount – restitution.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

is there a legal argument that I can make to fight this? What defense do I make to prevent me from being on the hook for the whole amount? Is there anything that I should be doing to get my defense in order?
Start by gathering ALL of your income and expense records for the period in question and be prepared to show that you, either individually or jointly, made every payment or purchase from 'legitimate' sources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">