• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful đetainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K Justice

State of Alabama. I missed my Unlawful detainer court date by 30 minutes due to car breaking down. Only 3 cases that day and when I got to the courtroom, court was over in less than 26 minutes. I can't afford to pay $1390 in order to file an appeal. Is there anything I can do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State of Alabama. I missed my Unlawful detainer court date by 30 minutes due to car breaking down. Only 3 cases that day and when I got to the courtroom, court was over in less than 26 minutes. I can't afford to pay $1390 in order to file an appeal. Is there anything I can do?
You can move.

adjusterjack

From the date of the hearing the landlord must wait out the appeal period of 7 days and can then file for a writ of possession. The writ is given to the sheriff to serve on you. I don't have any exact figure for Alabama but, in most places it's 24 to 48 hours. If you are still there after the deadline the sheriff will forcibly remove you from the property. If you leave anything behind, the landlord can dispose of it after 14 days.

What you can, and should do, right now is find another place to live and move yourself and your belongings before the axe comes down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">