• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unnecessary Ambulance and Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DefConDelta

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kansas

Driving home one night my 17 yr old daughter had some type of panic attack after ALMOST colliding with a deer. The local county law asked her if she wanted an ambulance. She said probably, yes.

Her boyfriend drove home to tell me what had happened. I immediately went to the hospital and she was fine. I signed papers releasing her rather than waiting for the Dr., as she had had one of these episodes previously in the past.

Later, I received a bill from the ambulance for $810. No one called me beforehand. No one asked me if I wanted her to have an ambulance. But they sure sent ME the bill!

I have no intention of paying for an unnecessary ambulance bill, especially without my permission. What do I do next?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DefConDelta said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kansas

Driving home one night my 17 yr old daughter had some type of panic attack after ALMOST colliding with a deer. The local county law asked her if she wanted an ambulance. She said probably, yes.

Her boyfriend drove home to tell me what had happened. I immediately went to the hospital and she was fine. I signed papers releasing her rather than waiting for the Dr., as she had had one of these episodes previously in the past.

Later, I received a bill from the ambulance for $810. No one called me beforehand. No one asked me if I wanted her to have an ambulance. But they sure sent ME the bill!

I have no intention of paying for an unnecessary ambulance bill, especially without my permission. What do I do next?

My response

What do you do next? You pay the bill. That's what you do next.

Either that, or you get to go into collections, and then, because you don't understand the law, you'll end up in court.

You see, what you're not understanding, is that a minor can, in fact, approve, and contract with, Emergency Medical Services. Emergency assistance is a "necessary of life" and children can make binding contracts for medical, food, clothing, housing and a host of other "necessaries of life".

If you chop your nose off to spite your face on this one, you'll end up on the losing end of the stick.

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

If she ALMOST hit a deer, why were the police at the scene of an accident that did not happen? Has your daughter been treated for her panic attacks? This is a very common disorder and can be treated. I have a very difficult time with the fact you checked your daughter out before seeing a doctor. Don't be surprised when you get billed for the ER visit also, as it appears you do not have insurance, otherwise you would not be paying the full price of the ambulance ride.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">