• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dirtiestbird

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA.
Hello, I am a medical provider and someone owes me about $1000. They are refusing to pay because they said they were not billed in a timely manner. there was about a 3-month delay before I sent them a bill due to a delay with their insurance company. They have signed a statement saying they are responsible for any balance due. Is there anything I can do and is it worthwhile for a $1000 bill? thanks for the help.

Antigone*

Hello, I am a medical provider and someone owes me about $1000. They are refusing to pay because they said they were not billed in a timely manner. there was about a 3-month delay before I sent them a bill due to a delay with their insurance company. They have signed a statement saying they are responsible for any balance due. Is there anything I can do and is it worthwhile for a $1000 bill? thanks for the help.
Send them to collections.

A $1,000 to Warren Buffet doesn't mean much at all.;)

tranquility

While medical debt is all the rage to send to collections, in other professions, the professional insurance company often advises professionals not to sue over bills.

Why?

That's where many malpractice claims start. Even if it is past a medical malpractice SOL, the purported debtor may be able to claim something in a breach of contract suit. Do the principals really want to risk this?

Many say yes, but you should check with your insurer first.

Antigone*

oh it means a lot to me! you think I should just threaten with a suit before collections or what?
I would not threaten. I would send them a letter giving them a specific amount to pay. Let them know if you do not receive payment by XXX date, you will turn the account over for collections.

If you don't get the money ~ do it.:cool:

lealea1005

Unless $1000 means nothing to you, of course it's worthwhile. You provided a service and deserve to be paid. A 3 month delay hearing from insurance is not that unusual.

Send them a certified letter (RRR) stating that their balance is overdue and needs to be paid in full, immediately. Include a copy of their insurance company's EOB which will indicate the date the claim was received, processed and paid. Also include the copy of the statement they signed. Highlight those dates and their signature. Personally, we've found small claims court to be very helpful when it comes to collecting bad debt from patients who refuse to pay.

In the future, you might want to require payment of all co-pays/co-insurances/deductibles at the time of service. It's a tough decision to make, and you may lose a patient or two who don't want to pay, but it in the long run, it may be worth the risk. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">