• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unseal Original Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patrickhull031@

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
When I was born I was given my mother's ex-husbands last name. Two years later some one had my birth certificate amended to have my father's last name. I didn't know this until a couple of months ago and I am 35 now. I am great with that since I was planning on changing it anyways. I grew up using my original name and all worked out well because i had the original which matched my social security number. about ten years ago i lost the original but didn't have a need to get another copy because I had a drivers license. well i let it expire and went about life until i decided to go get a new license and low and behold i need a copy of my birth certificate so i order one. it comes back my dad's name on it. so now i can't get a license in either name until i unseal my original birth certificate. i don't know what i can file where i can find a form or anything and none of the lawyers i spoke with seem to know. it is a strange situation but some one had to have something similar happen before. please point me in the right direction. i cant work, get a license or anything til i have these papers

single317dad

Your problem may present some legal challenge, but I recommend you exhaust all other avenues first:

http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth_howto.html

Call (785) 296-3253 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central Time weekdays.

Go to Curtis State Office Bldg., 1000 SW Jackson, Ste. 120, Topeka, KS 66612. Open 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. weekdays.

Requests for original birth certificate prior to adoption should be directed to:

ADOPTION CLERK
OFFICE OF VITAL STATISTICS
1000 SW JACKSON, STE 120
TOPEKA, KS 66612-2221

If you have any questions, please contact the adoption clerk at (785) 296-1436 or email at [email protected].

I do not know if any adoption took place, but it wouldn't hurt to contact that agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">