• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on dog v. dog trial....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TMomof3

Tennessee

Quick review....neighbor's dog attacked my dog and made her lame...my dog required more than $2500 in vet bills...went to court...the defendant's attorney said objection to every piece of evidence (bills from vet and credit card receipts) and judge sustained them on the basis that the vet needs to be there to show the injury and subsequent surgery were reasonable and necessary...all else is hearsay...soooooo the judge decided for the defense on lack of evidence.

I paid and filed an appeal..my question now is am I still able to represent myself in circuit court? I plan on subpoenaing (sp?) the veterinarian..he voluntarily will come but I feel I need that security if I'm moving forward. The vet referred me to a great attorney who said he would gladly call the defendant's attorney and give them a scare call saying we are moving forward and to avoid further costs they should settle. The defendant's attorney today said that "I don't want to make this sound like a threat, but if you appeal this decision we will tack our $4000 attorney fees on you should you lose." I sweetly and genuinely took him by the hand and thanked him for his concern for me but that I would appeal to recover my expenses.

Update...I am waiting for the circuit court to issue a court date....I plan on representing myself...any recommendations on how I can present my evidence and beat the hearsay objection or lack of proper foundation objection? I went through the course of events and simply stated that I took my dog to the veterinarian...there I was given a bill and I have a receipt I would like to submit as exhibit #1 showing I paid the bill...the attorney objected saying I did not lay the proper foundation and he objected to the vet bill being introduced because it was hearsay. Now, I am planning on subpoenaing the vet who did the surgery but I have a bill from the first vet who recommended the surgery but was not qualified to do that surgery....do I have to subpoena him also just to get his bill and my proof of payment submitted into evidence?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">