• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Venue for federal suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alhcfp

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I now live in Ohio. My former employer is is Florida. I have a claim for unpaid wages and return of personal property. There is diversity of citizenship as well as federal question jurisdiction.

Can I file in Ohio and use an OH attorney or do I need to find a lawyer in Florida?

badapple40

Where did you work when working for the former employer and where did the property you complain of get taken/misappropriated?

And, incidently, this is not a question of venue so much as it is a question of personal jurisdiction.

Also, how much money are we talking about, since there is a requirement to have the amount in controversy be at least $75,000 to get into federal court on the diversity basis. Regarding federal question, be careful there, since some statutes that confer federal question jurisdiction also put minimums on the amount of damages that need to be present prior to pursuing the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">