• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet bills for dog injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

K&M

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Virginia

My dog bit neighbor's dog on their property. Vet bills are $1,000.00. If I make payments, like $5-10 weekly, what is the worst thing that can happen to me if they are not agreeably to that. (I know they can sue but what would happen from there) :

racer72

They can obtain a judgment against you. They could then place liens on your property and garnish your wages and bank accounts. $5 a week won't pay the interest on a $1000 debt.

I

intereee

Much more than $1000 - Have you considered compensatory damages

Have you considered that there might be more to your situation than a $1000 vet bill? If your neighbors are entitled to compensatory damages the final bill might comprise their legal fees, your legal fees, and possibly other damages for emotional distress, the hassle of driving the dog to the vet, etc.
In that instance, you could easily incur a judgment for many thousands of dollars and much stress. There are attorneys out there that literally do nothing but "dog bite" cases and might jump at the chance to represent your neighbors in a case where you're clearly at fault.

If you're trying to avoid a lawsuit you'd almost certainly lose, why make such a meager initial offering? Are you really too cash-straped to pay more than $5-$10/week?

If this were my problem, I'd profusely apologize and find a way to pick up the $1000 vet bill immediately, as opposed to hoping my neighbors aren't inspired to sue by my pathetic $5/week settlement offer.

Please note, the above writing is based on my own individual opinions/research and is not professional or legal advice of any kind. Follow any implied suggestions at your own risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">