• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet Used EXTORTION to keep my cat.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvUdesert

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I took my complaint to the State Veterinary Medical Board and they found that the vet could not charge me for medical bills for my cat because I signed the form to give up financial responsibilty and ownership. They also found inappropriate correspondance against the vet.

The vet said if my cat recovered she would consider releasing my cat back to me as her caregiver. She did release my cat back to me when she recovered. My cat's diagnosis was diabetes. Then after nearly having my cat for 2 weeks the vet demanded I either pay $2,000 to keep my cat or return her or I would be sued. That's when I filed a complaint with the AZ Vet Medical Board. The vet still has my cat and the board said I would need to go to court for any other issues.

My cat which I had for 9 years was part of my family. I've gone through months of stress and heartache. It seems to me the vet used extortion methods to keep my cat and the last time I checked extortion was illegal! Can you help me find an attorney who would consider this case?

panzertanker

luvUdesert said:

I took my complaint to the State Veterinary Medical Board and they found that the vet could not charge me for medical bills for my cat because I signed the form to give up financial responsibilty and ownership.
No, YOUR cat was not held for 'extortion', the vet is just demanding you pay the medical bills for a cat you may want back. If you want the cat, you must pay. The vet owns the cat, not you.

HomeGuru

luvUdesert said:

I took my complaint to the State Veterinary Medical Board and they found that the vet could not charge me for medical bills for my cat because I signed the form to give up financial responsibilty and ownership. They also found inappropriate correspondance against the vet.

The vet said if my cat recovered she would consider releasing my cat back to me as her caregiver. She did release my cat back to me when she recovered. My cat's diagnosis was diabetes. Then after nearly having my cat for 2 weeks the vet demanded I either pay $2,000 to keep my cat or return her or I would be sued. That's when I filed a complaint with the AZ Vet Medical Board. The vet still has my cat and the board said I would need to go to court for any other issues.

My cat which I had for 9 years was part of my family. I've gone through months of stress and heartache. It seems to me the vet used extortion methods to keep my cat and the last time I checked extortion was illegal! Can you help me find an attorney who would consider this case?
**A: next time don't give up the cat and take full responsbility for your pets.
If the pet is like family, would you also give up your kid for adoption?

panzertanker

HomeGuru said:
Apparently so, and then would want to enjoy the kid after being raised and finishing college....

luvUdesert

More to this...

panzertanker said:
No, YOUR cat was not held for 'extortion', the vet is just demanding you pay the medical bills for a cat you may want back. If you want the cat, you must pay. The vet owns the cat, not you.
I told the vet that when I brought my cat in that I had just taken on the committment of 2 years of payments for my daughters braces. The vet told me when I brought my cat in not to worry about the fees, that she was able to right off up to $10,000 a year for those who can not pay. But in order to do this she said I must sign the release forms to begin treatment or my cat would die within 3 days. I believed her and proceeded to sign the release to save my cat. She then released her to me without discussing any future fees. It was then nearly 2 weeks later they demanded her back if I didn't pay. The Board said she was wrong to ask for payment.

Last edited:

luvUdesert

More to this...2

HomeGuru said:
I told the vet that when I brought my cat in that I had just taken on the committment of 2 years of payments for my daughters braces. The vet told me when I brought my cat in not to worry about the fees, that she was able to right off up to $10,000 a year for those who can not pay. But in order to do this she said I must sign the release forms to begin treatment or my cat would die within 3 days. I believed her and proceeded to sign the release to save my cat. She then released her to me without discussing any future fees. It was then nearly 2 weeks later they demanded her back if I didn't pay. The Board said she was wrong to ask for payment.

stephenk

so you feel you are entitled to free care for your cat? have you paid anything to the vet for the cat's recovery?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">