• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaping Sporting Event of Minors without Parental Consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgopal2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello - my kids play competitive junior squash. It has become quite common for parents to videotape their kids matches so that it can be reviewed later. This helps kids improve and spot their weaknesses and strengths. Coaches like to see videotape of their players so they know where to focus attention on. Squash is played in an enclosed court with two players at a time. Most courts have a glass back wall or stadium seating to allow viewers to watch.

US Squash has put together a policy that requires parents to seek permission from the opposing parent before videotaping a match for all kids under the age of 18. Here is a link to the policy: http://www.ussquash.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Broadcast-Policy.pdf

There have been instances that I've encountered where some parents won't allow their children to be taped. Squash matches are typically held in private clubs which are generally open to the public, and there is no expectation of privacy. Although videotaping a match when one parent doesn't give permission might be in violation of US Squash policy, would this be against any state or federal laws?

Just wanted to know my rights

racer72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello - my kids play competitive junior squash. It has become quite common for parents to videotape their kids matches so that it can be reviewed later. This helps kids improve and spot their weaknesses and strengths. Coaches like to see videotape of their players so they know where to focus attention on. Squash is played in an enclosed court with two players at a time. Most courts have a glass back wall or stadium seating to allow viewers to watch.

US Squash has put together a policy that requires parents to seek permission from the opposing parent before videotaping a match for all kids under the age of 18. Here is a link to the policy: http://www.ussquash.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Broadcast-Policy.pdf

There have been instances that I've encountered where some parents won't allow their children to be taped. Squash matches are typically held in private clubs which are generally open to the public, and there is no expectation of privacy. Although videotaping a match when one parent doesn't give permission might be in violation of US Squash policy, would this be against any state or federal laws?

Just wanted to know my rights
The bolded part of your post is why the underlined is not true. Your perception of the public sector is incorrect.

OHRoadwarrior

Competitions that can freely videoed normally clearly layout the rules. All minor participants are required to have a parent sign a pre-event release advising of this. Unless it is clearly posted that such a release has been obtained, do not record random players.

justalayman

those controlling the venue can not allow you to videotape. If you do against their wishes, they can ban you from the venue. Returning to the venue would then be trespassing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">