• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Civil Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marciaoutten51

What is the name of your state? Illinois

April 10, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m not writing this letter because of the Eviction, I am writing in order for someone to hear my side of this total injustice. I base my case on the fact that our Civil Rights were totally violated. I don’t believe that anyone should have the right to humiliate anyone in the manner that these people did.

On 02/03/05 my husband and I were evicted from our home of 12 years. My husband who is a disabled 100% Veteran who due to the loss of his sight while serving in Vietnam, my self as well whom is disabled due to Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks and Depression for which I’m on medication. I’m writing this letter in hope that someone can help me and my husband. I’m not complaining about the eviction that would be my word against theirs. I’m complaining about how my civil rights were violated as being treated as a Black person.

02/03/05: Two Cook County Sheriff’s Officers came into our home and told us to get dressed and get out. They had 2 guys with them and they proceeded to set a few of belongings on the street. They were there about 15-20 minutes. I asked one of the officers if they had documentation the officer looked in pocket and took a paper from it and said yes; she never showed me the paper. I contacted the mortgage company which is Area Wide Realty and spoke with Kelly. Kelly told me that they didn’t have too show us anything. Before the officers left I asked them about the rest of our belongings that were still inside the house. The officer told me that I had to take that up with the mortgage company. After the 2 officers and the 2 young men that were with them, 2 guys got out of a van and proceeded to board up the house. I called the mortgage company again and spoke with Kelly and she said that they would sat up a date for us to get the rest of our belongings out of the house.

02/18/05: This was the date that they had for us to get everything out of the house, two guys were there and they gave us 1 hour per Kelly’s instructions. The 1 hour went to 15 minutes. I called the police and explained to them what was going on. An officer came out, by that time the 2 guys from the mortgage company had left. I called Area Wide Realty and spoke with Kelly. At that time she (Kelly) told me and the officer that they would set up another date for us to get everything out of the house. The reason I keep saying Kelly is because when ever I called the office she was the person who I would speak with. I don’t know what her job functions are because I never been to their office.

I had just remodeled the whole entire house and bought new furniture, items that I am still paying for. They asked me to show them receipts for my belongings, I told them that they were taken out of my lock box, but I have everything under warranty. I had a lot of things that I had never gotten around opening or using.

02/19/05: On this date we got a call from one of our neighbors that they were throwing everything of ours in a dumpster. My husband and I got dressed and went over to house. I called the police and had them to meet me at the house. When we got there the officers were there. There were 2 guys inside the house and they had destroyed everything that was upstairs, I didn’t get a chance to go into the basement. The officers had them to stop and show some type of paper work for them to justify what they were doing. They had none, they came from Wisconsin, at that time 1 of the officers told them that they didn’t have to do what they had did; they could have just sat everything on the outside. They had broken into my lock box where I kept all of my important papers. They were all gone. Things that I had packed up on 02/18/05 were taken out of bags and boxes and strode through the house, pictures were broken. I didn’t see any reason for them to that. I asked 1 of the guys if I had done anything too them or the people they work for. They said they were just doing their job. I called Area Wide Realty and asked for Kelly. Kelly never came to the phone and someone just hung up. I ended up going to the hospital suffering from anxiety attack and chest pain.

I’m writing this letter in hopes that someone can help us; I have seen people get evicted before but NEVER in my days on this earth that I saw anything like that before and I hope I never will.

I have worked hard all my like to achieve the simple things out of life, my husband is a retired Disabled 100% Veteran whom is blind. Myself, I had to stop working because I suffer with severe panic attacks, anxiety and depression. I stopped working in October 2001 with 1st District of Illinois Appellate Court as a Deputy Clerk; I worked for the Federal Government for about 10 years before I went into the private sector. I have done social services for about 5 years for a non-profit agency. I went back to school to achieve my BA in Criminal Law and had to stop because of this injustice and the destruction of my property.

If this is the way the law works then just maybe it needs to be changed so that NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE TO SUFFER THIS TYPE OF INJUSTICE. I never met Kelly or anyone else from Area Wide Realty. My daughter had a police report done; I had gone to the hospital after I saw EVERYTHING that I and my husband had worked hard to get was destroyed.

I am a God loving person who has never did anything to anyone except try to help; I am a member of Logos Baptist Assembly, Rev. Donald L. Parson on a 108th and Halsted on the Southside of Chicago. I am a registered voter and I would like to see some justice done for this injustice.

They have put the house on the market for the amount of $74,900.00. I saw it on their website which they told me that they didn’t have a website, I spoke with the person who answers the phone and she said that it was NOT their website because it was under the name of Michael Olowaski with an (I) and his name is spelled with an (E). I don’t understand what the big deal about the whole situation was.

I am sending a copy of this letter to my Congressman, House Representative, Operation Push, Real-Estate Board, Cook County Sheriff’s Office, AARP and anyone else that is willing to listen to my story. Thank you in advance. If there is anymore information needed you may contact via email or phone (773) 324-8591. I hope that someone can give an answer to this nightmare.

Sincerely,

Marcia Outten-Robinson
[email protected]

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

You left out important facts, when did you stop paying your mortgage payments?
How long was your house in forclosure?
I'm sorry but I don't see a civil right's complaint.

marciaoutten51

rmet4nzkx said:
You left out important facts, when did you stop paying your mortgage payments?
How long was your house in forclosure?
I'm sorry but I don't see a civil right's complaint.
We got behind in our mortgage with Fairbanks Capital about the end of 2003. I filed for Bankrupcty to try to catch up. That didn't go too well. Then we got caught up with different agencies telling us that could help us. We was giving money to these people at the final end I had just given $900.00 to House911 that was a gimmic as well. After that, we talked with Area Wide Realty which was the Brokers for Fairbanks Capital; we kept getting the round arounds from them. We have a VA Loan Guaranty that they told us we could use. This was before everything got out of hand and I got sick and was hospitalized. Like I said I'm not complaining about the Eviction, my complaint is with Area Wide Realty for the destruction of all my belongings that they destroyed. In any eviction according to the law I have a right to my personal property and they took that right from us. That is why I am trying to get someone to understand what I really feel that there was an injustice done. Like I said if that is how the law works then it needs to be CHANGED.

In this day of hard times for almost everyone, people are losing their jobs, home and self dignity. And you tell me that there is no justice for people like us. Who have worked just to make ends meet. I am going to keep trying and put it in God's Hands and He will definely handle it for me. Thank you for your response. But I am going to keep trying!!!!!!!!!!!!

BelizeBreeze

No civil rights case and no sympathy. You mentioned that you just completed a remodel and bought a lot of 'new' things.

You should have been paying the mortgage.

This is a problem of your own making.

JETX

Bottom line...
- You didn't pay your rent.
- The landlord/owner (presumably) made numerous demands for payment which you ignored.
- The landlord/owner filed an 'unlawful detainer' (eviction) action against you and (presumably) you were served.
- The landlord then (presumably) got an eviction order against you... which you again ignored.
- The landlord (again, presumably) made additional demands on you to leave.... which you ignored.
- The landlord was forced to avail him/herself of the courts assistance (via officers) to FORCE you to leave.

Sorry, but I don't see where your 'civil rights' were violated at all. However, I do see where you are presumably a leach on society who somehow thinks that we (all the rest of us) somehow owe you for something. We don't.
Or that you are somehow due privileges due to your being black. You're not.
The only 'injustice' that is clear in your post.... is your expectation for special favors.

RobertDale

marciaoutten51,

Though, I do agree with the general thought that your event is not racially motivated and/or a 'civil rights' problem, based upon the information you provided.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

RobertDale said:
marciaoutten51,
I would seek help via another forum...
Why is that?? You posted a LONG and rambling post about your problems with PayPal and got a response that you simply had no case. You then decided to piss and moan about it with the person (SeniorJudge) who responded.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=236104

Apparently from that one communication, you have decided to refer others elsewhere....
Sounds like nothing but sour grapes to me!! :D

I have found this one to be quite helpful, as there are a few lawyers who are most likely willing to help you there:
And there are lawyers and qualified persons here. You just didn't like the response you got.

So far, in the few days that I have visited this forum, I have found many rude and offensive posts, and people seem unwilling to help. Everyone seems so quick to shoot people down just because they believe they have a lawsuit case... Is this a collection of defense attorneys, or what? :)
Gee, we sure do feel sorry that is your opinion. Of course, you are certainly free to request a refund under out "100% money back guarantee"!!.

Though, I do agree with the general thought that your event is not racially motivated and/or a 'civil rights' problem, based upon the information you provided.
And then, after all that pissing.... you close with your agreement to the responses given!! Incredible!! :eek:

RobertDale

JETX said:
Why is that?? You posted a LONG and rambling post about your problems with PayPal and got a response that you simply had no case. You then decided to piss and moan about it with the person (SeniorJudge) who responded.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=236104

Apparently from that one communication, you have decided to refer others elsewhere....
Sounds like nothing but sour grapes to me!! :D

And there are lawyers and qualified persons here. You just didn't like the response you got.

Gee, we sure do feel sorry that is your opinion. Of course, you are certainly free to request a refund under out "100% money back guarantee"!!.

And then, after all that pissing.... you close with your agreement to the responses given!! Incredible!! :eek:
I am referring to the post about the Canadian person who asked a simple question, and received rather rude responses - It's unbelievable how rude some of you people are. Rather than being nice and saying "well, I'm not sure", you guys go on about how they don't know where the United States is geographically.

And, about my case that everyone says has no merit... Either you didn't read the story because it was too "long", or you don't know what "merit" is. The reason it's so long is because it is very detailed - You guys often complain about "you're missing details!", well, I didn't leave any details out. And, if my case doesn't have merit, then post in that forum as to WHY it doesn't have merit, rather than a a couple words. If you could even take the time out of your presumably busy schedule and actually look up PayPal, you would see that this isn't the first time stuff like this has happened... They have been sued before, they violated the injunction order set by the court, what else do you need? A violation of an injunction is a $6,000 fine per violation per day.......

What about the Mathia V. Accor Economy Lodging, where the plaintiff was bitten by bed bugs - Punitive damage award of $150,000 was upheld, but I'm sure that wouldn't have been granted merit in some of your eyes either :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JETX

RobertDale said:
I am referring to the post about the Canadian person who asked a simple question, and received rather rude responses - It's unbelievable how rude some of you people are. Rather than being nice and saying "well, I'm not sure", you guys go on about how they don't know where the United States is geographically.
So why are you 'referring' to it here instead of in that thread???
And of course, your posts are exactly what you are bitching about here. You provided NO information or assistance to the poster of this thread, and instead just post bitching and moaning posts of no relevance. Sound familiar?? :D

And, about my case that everyone says has no merit... Either you didn't read the story because it was too "long", or you don't know what "merit" is. The reason it's so long is because it is very detailed - You guys often complain about "you're missing details!", well, I didn't leave any details out.
Nope. I read your diatribe and though you might have an iota of a case, it will simply not be worth the $5,000 or more that it will take to bring it to court. So, as advised by SeniorJudge... good luck. Keep us apprised of the progress.

If you could even take the time out of your presumably busy schedule and actually look up PayPal, you would see that this isn't the first time stuff like this has happened.
I know ALL about the previous class-action against PayPal.... and your case is NOT similar to it. That case had to do with PayPal's failure to advise their 'customers' of their 'freeze' policy BEFORE taking that action. Yours.... simply doesn't.

They have been sued before, they violated the injunction order set by the court, what else do you need? A violation of an injunction is a $6,000 fine per violation per day.......
And as noted above, the injunction has nothing to do with your complaint.

What about the Mathia V. Accor Economy Lodging, where the plaintiff was bitten by bed bugs - Punitive damage award of $150,000 was upheld, but I'm sure that wouldn't have been granted merit in some of your eyes either :rolleyes:
So, how does your case of a frozen account subject to investigation have ANYTHING to do with bedbugs?? :rolleyes:

RobertDale

JETX said:
I know ALL about the previous class-action against PayPal.... and your case is NOT similar to it. That case had to do with PayPal's failure to advise their 'customers' of their 'freeze' policy BEFORE taking that action. Yours.... simply doesn't.
Somewhat correct... The previous lawsuit charged that PayPal was wrongfully limiting the accounts as well. Same thing that happened to me - They lied to me, and as a result of that lie, are holding my funds hostage for 180 days. They say they must hold the funds because of chargeback risks from credit cards... My buyers didn't use credit cards, there is no chargeback risks - Yet another lie from PayPal. I'm sorry, but lying to customers and damaging them isn't acceptable in my opinion. Also, a new lawsuit just started up about a month ago, alleging racketeering against PayPal and a couple other companies, should be interesting.

And as noted above, the injunction has nothing to do with your complaint.
The injunction is half of my case - I may not have mentioned it in my novel :D

So, how does your case of a frozen account subject to investigation have ANYTHING to do with bedbugs?? :rolleyes:
The theory behind that case is that the Motel 6 was a repeat offender - They failed to fix the problem. PayPal is somewhat similar. The premise behind that case is that you don't have to have huge direct damages to get a punitive damage award. In my opinion, the government doesn't really like PayPal...

I am sorry for bitching, but I have been stressed out over this whole situation. I have a back injury, and this business was my only job. Again, I am sorry for bitching/thread-jacking/whatever... I would appreciate that if you have a response to any of my PayPal issues in this thread, to continue them in the PayPal thread that I started, as to not fill up this persons thread with garbage.

djohnson

Not to be rude :rolleyes: but this has nothing to do with OP questions. Questions that were answered correctly, even you agree to that :rolleyes: Why are you hijacking this person's thread. The canadian question would be a no brainer as to the best of my knowledge Canada isn't in the US. It clearly states on the top of the page that this is US LAW ONLY. If someone can't understand that, then they don't need to be here. :rolleyes:

marciaoutten51

Response

BelizeBreeze said:
No civil rights case and no sympathy. You mentioned that you just completed a remodel and bought a lot of 'new' things.

You should have been paying the mortgage.

This is a problem of your own making.
I made a mortgage payment to Fairbanks Capital that was my mortgage company. Besides, I am going to make a formal complaint with FHA.

marciaoutten51

Response

JETX said:
Bottom line...
- You didn't pay your rent.
- The landlord/owner (presumably) made numerous demands for payment which you ignored.
- The landlord/owner filed an 'unlawful detainer' (eviction) action against you and (presumably) you were served.
- The landlord then (presumably) got an eviction order against you... which you again ignored.
- The landlord (again, presumably) made additional demands on you to leave.... which you ignored.
- The landlord was forced to avail him/herself of the courts assistance (via officers) to FORCE you to leave.

Sorry, but I don't see where your 'civil rights' were violated at all. However, I do see where you are presumably a leach on society who somehow thinks that we (all the rest of us) somehow owe you for something. We don't.
Or that you are somehow due privileges due to your being black. You're not.
The only 'injustice' that is clear in your post.... is your expectation for special favors.
I DID NOT IGNORE ANY NOTICES THAT WERE MAILED TO ME WE RESPONDED AND PAID OTHERS AGENCIES FOR TO HELP IN OUR SITUATION. I'M NOT ASKING FOR ANY FAVORS BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF MY SKIN. YOU CAN TAKE THAT AND SHOVE IT!!!!!!!! YOU ALL KEEP RESPONDING TO THE EVICTION, I'M NOT.

marciaoutten51

Response

:)
RobertDale said:
marciaoutten51,

I would seek help via another forum... I have found this one to be quite helpful, as there are a few lawyers who are most likely willing to help you there: http://www.able2know.com/forums/ask-about55.html

So far, in the few days that I have visited this forum, I have found many rude and offensive posts, and people seem unwilling to help. Everyone seems so quick to shoot people down just because they believe they have a lawsuit case... Is this a collection of defense attorneys, or what? :)

I have read some of the feedback and they are very rude. But, I have read the FHA Rules and I will seek other advice regarding this issue. They are missing the entire point. The police officers that came out didn't approve of the way things went down. I simply acting on the fact of Area Wide Realty conduct in the after fact of the eviction not the eviction itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">