• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteer Fire Department

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ivydale2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia.I am looking for a lawyer that can help me in a case against my local fire department.On Dec 23rd my house burnt down and our local VFD refused to respond when they were toned out by 911.

justalayman

did they start the fire? Then they have no liability. There is no promise a fire department will show up when you call them.

so, if none of them showed, I would presume they all had some reason. Any ideas?

FlyingRon

We can't even begin to answer this question with the little information provided. Did they have any duty to respond to you? Were they able to respond and refused to do so for you or where there no staffing available (the latter is the problem with small departments). Is this a subscription company that you hadn't paid for? etc. etc.. etc..

I'll tell you it's going to be rough. Generally you're responsible for your own fire damage regardless of the fact that the cause may be elsewhere. In this case you'll be hard pressed to argue the additional damage caused by the failure to respond. Further, if the department is really small, satisfying a judgement is equally unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">