• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment prossessing fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SouthEast

What is the name of your state?Virginia/Maryland
I am a member/manager of a small Limited Liability Company based in Virginia. We recently received a Court Order from the state of Maryland for a wage garnishment pertaining to a child support obligation, for one of our employees. We have never encountered something like this before so we forwarded this to our attorney, and later at the direction of the attorney, forwarded the payment schedule to our accountant. The costs of this whole prossess was around $375.00. To send this payment to the designated parties twice a month will be an additional costs of $12.00 (Certified Mail). We are very happy with our attorney as well as our accountant, however they do not work cheap. Who is to pay these costs? The Court Order states that we are able to deduct $2.00 from our employee's pay for processing, but this does not begin to cover the costs. I am inclined to present this problem to our company attorney, but our company is not inclined to absorb this additional costs incurred for him to give us an answer. It makes sense to me that federal law should prohibit Courts from being able to Order privately held companies to absorb costs related to court cases in which they are not actively involved.
Can we ask the Court to pay these costs for prossessing they're Order?
Do they have an obligation to pay these costs?
Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

Start by asking the employee who caused this problem to pay for it.

SouthEast

Please, only respond to this if you have knowledge of law. I have already stated that federal law prohibits the employee from paying more than $2.00.

M

meganproser

No one told you to TAKE the money, SJ told you to ASK the employee to pay the costs.

S

seniorjudge

"No one told you to TAKE the money, SJ told you to ASK the employee to pay the costs."

Megan, are you trying to say that one is supposed to read the posts before responding to them?

M

meganproser

SJ, Southeast probably read your post too fast. An individual who tries to be a citizen of two States at the same time, must be living at a dizzying pace and things are bound to slip through the cracks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">