• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to represent myself in a civil case- owed $30K from a family member.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calysto999

WA- Does the WA (most likely King County) court system allow for someone to represent themselves in a civil case suing a family member for ~$30K?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
WA- Does the WA (most likely King County) court system allow for someone to represent themselves in a civil case suing a family member for ~$30K?
Yes...

A person who represents himself has a fool for a client.

Proserpina

Oh absolutely.

But you better make darn sure you know what you're doing - this is beyond small claims, obviously, and there is very little latitude given to pro se litigants once you get beyond that level.

calysto999

Oh absolutely.

But you better make darn sure you know what you're doing - this is beyond small claims, obviously, and there is very little latitude given to pro se litigants once you get beyond that level.
Appreciate the feedback. I am consulting w. an attorney this week, just in case....

W

Willlyjo

And who would that be? And, don't say Abraham Lincoln because it's a myth that he is the first to say it. :rolleyes:
I know AL wasn't the first to say it, but still, you are stealing someone else's quote by not acknowledging the quote isn't yours. Obviously, you are trying to take credit for it--sounds like plagiarism to me. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know AL wasn't the first to say it, but still, you are stealing someone else's quote by not acknowledging the quote isn't yours. Obviously, you are trying to take credit for it--sounds like plagiarism to me. :)
Ahh, more junk from Willy. Refreshing for the evening

Paul84

These days many courts have pro-se offices to help you with the process. If you hire a lawyer, you could easily rack up $30k in fees just for their drafting and filing documents for you. Unlike in Britain and some other jurisdictions where losing parties routinely must pay the legal fees of both sides, it's rare in the U.S. for a court to order that to happen. They'd generally do so only if the losing party's behavior, particularly toward the court, merited some large sanction.

Alternatively, one can choose the contingency route with legal firms of paying their fees only for a successful outcome. However, even if you won, you'd only likely recover a portion of the original claim because your lawyer(s) might insist upfront in taking a third of any judicial award or settlement as a contingency fee even to consider representing you (in which case s/he would forgo the hourly fees but still charge you for costs).

That's why these days more and more litigants are opting to act pro se. Good luck, but recognize that the process of handling your own case is time-consuming.

latigo

. . . . . . . . Unlike in Britain and some other jurisdictions where losing parties routinely must pay the legal fees of both sides, it's rare in the U.S. for a court to order that to happen. . . . . . .
That is an interesting observation of yours.

And I am speaking in particular of your comment that some jurisdictions “routinely order” a party litigant to pay for his or her professional services.

Apparently I chose to practice as a trial lawyer law in the wrong jurisdiction!

Just in case things get tight and I’m forced to come out of retirement, would you be kind enough to identify those jurisdictions?

Eliminating, of course those where it is only “rare” where the judge will order my client to pay my fee. “Routinely” sounds much more tempting. (Great Britain is out, however. I don’t happen to have webbed feet.)

Incidentally, are they are any particular TV Court shows to which you accredit your “legal expertise”?
Obviously the BBC must be included.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">