• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant in Debt - Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codebreather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC, defendant resides in VA

Adding to what I've found is probably a too-long list of "hurr-durr my gf/bf broke up with me, can i sue?" threads, please hear me out.

In April of this year my employer needed me to go on a mid-week trip to the United Kingdom. I suggested to my girlfriend at the time that, if she could get the time off and afford the plane ticket, I would get us a hotel in London that weekend and plan an impromptu vacation. She agreed, and because the flights were being booked last-minute and were nearly full, I booked her plane tickets while we were both at work so that I could ensure we sat together on the return flight.

Fast-forward, the trip was an admitted disaster, as evidenced by the fact that she dropped me off at home after leaving the airport, and I haven't seen her since. In between, we split expenses on the trip for meals etc., with me paying for the hotels as originally agreed. Since, I've attempted multiple times to reach out to her and get her to repay me for the cost of the plane ticket, to little avail.

I have three pieces of supporting communication documenting her intent to repay me for the cost of the plane ticket:

1. A series of text messages exchanged before I bought the ticket, including me stating "OK so I'll just buy the ticket and you can repay me later?" and her stating "Yes! That's fine, I'm so excited!"

2. She emailed me the receipt for the ticket from the airline, again before the trip occurred.

3. Following the trip, meaning after our altercations that led to our separation, she sent me personal check for roughly 1/12 of what she owed, with a memo stating "Payment 1 of 12"

Frankly, I just want this situation to be over with, but it is very difficult for me to walk away from over $1,000 that is rightfully mine, especially given that I spent more than that on other expenses on the same trip. Do you think that any of the above would be accepted by a judge as proof that she intended this as a debt, and should be liable to repay it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">