• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We just want the harrassment & craziness to STOP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Limboman

What is the name of your state Tennessee (although harrassment is coming from Ohio)

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. Since day 1 his exwife has tried to make his life and my life a living hell whenever possible. I've tried taking the high road hoping she would soon tire of her antics, but to no avail. We have had to have our home phone disconnected to stop her calls (although we have saved her voice mails). She says things like the prosecutors in Ohio are looking for me because I embezzeled money from her, I have gone to her bank & pretended I was her to take money out of her account & I have stolen her credit cards & I am using them. All totally hogwash! However I think it is possible she has tried to file charges against me. This is just a small example of the things she says to me in emails and to her children & anyone else she thinks will listen. I am a nervous wreck as a result. I have had to start taking anxiety medication for anxiety attacks & my blood pressure is being treated with medication now as well. My husband and I have had to go to marriage counseling twice to deal with the stress this puts on our marriage. I believe she is sending these emails from her place of employment. Is there anything I can do? I have sent 2 or 3 cease and decist letters, but it just seems to fuel her rage. My husband and I can't even visit his children because she makes so much trouble for everyone when we are there. Can anyone help or give me some advice? Can I file a restraining order against her? If so which state do I go through? Tennessee or Ohio? Can I contact her employer and have them deal with her since she is communicating these lies on their time and with their computer? Thanks in advance for any help. I know a lawyer's time is valuable & it is a great service you all provide here.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

harassed mama

I feel your pain. My son's biological father didn't want anything to do with him, yet has been harrassing me for 14 years. He lost custody of and has supervised visitation with his oldest daughter because of molestation charges and recently lost shared custody of his two youngest daughters. When that happened he, his new wife and their close friends have taken to stalking and harassing us. My husband, children and myself also tried taking the high road and ignored them in hopes that they would quit. This fueled their anger also.

I was assaulted and have suffered slander, defamation of character and malicious prosecution as a result. I was charged with stalking charges so that I was prevented from attending my childrens' baseball games, so that even though they had no children playing, they could attend. I have been through depression, anxiety, had thoughts of suicide and felt totally helpless because I just kept getting the run-around from our local police. I was able to get out of the stalking charges because what they had was fabricated and lacking evidence. I had enough proof to show that I was innocent of the charges.

I've since been working with our local non-profit organization that specializes in domestic violence and protection orders. Don't give up hope.

Document every single incident time and date with as much detail as possible. Call the authorities if possible as a form of backing up what you are documenting. They may not be willing to help and get tired of hearing from you, but my advocate says it is a record of the incident even if it is just you on their recording.

Make a short but detailed record of everything you can think of that has happened and take it to your prosecuting attorney. Also take the cease and decist letters. Speak with them about what options you have available for pressing harassment charges, slander, libel, defamation of character and so forth. See if they can have her phone records pulled to get times and dates that you have been called to match. They may have to pull work and friends phone records to get a match.

You can file a civil protection order against her. You can go to your courthouse and file pro se (without an attorney) or have an attorney do it for you.

This is in no form legal advice. This is me passing on the options that I have been given over the past 2 days. Laws differ from state to state and I am in Ohio. Things may be different whereever you are at.

Good luck and I hope this helps you. I know my post for help on this site got me a "no one wants to read a novel" reply so I deleted it altogether. I already felt helpless from getting the runaround from our local authorities, came here desperate for help, and ending up feeling worse than before I posted. I hope you get better results and please send me a message to let me know how things are going. Maybe you'll get some information along the way that I might be able to use.

Hot Topic

And you felt so badly because of the the way that you were treated that you posted again?

Many people feel the need to write paragraph after paragraph (without breaks) about a situation that could be summed up in a few sentences: My ex-husband's new wife and friends are harassing me. I've been assaulted, defamed and slandered. The police give me the runaround. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">