• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is an Alfred plea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RachelAylor

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My husband is currently being offered a plea bargain on a charge that we feel we have good chances of successfully appealing. I understand that taking the plea bargain will decrease, if not eliminate, his chances to appeal. Our lawyer says that making an Alfred Plea (sp?) will not waive his right to appeal. My questions are as follows: Does taking a plea bargain absolutely waive his right to appeal? Will he have to try to retract his admission of guilt if he wants to appeal after accepting the plea bargain? And is there a special kind of plea ('Alfred' or 'Alpha' plea) that preserves your rights to an appeal? I would really appreciate some information/advice.
Thank you,
Rachel

P

pamela vandi

Alford plea

I think you may be referring to the "Alford plea." I am not an attorney, but I have heard of that plea in regard to another case. My understanding of the Alford plea is that it is TREATED as a guilty plea, but that the defendant MAKES NO ADMISSION OF GUILT. Instead, the defendant acknowledges that the prosecutor could get a conviction EVEN THOUGH THE DEFENDANT DID NOT COMMIT THE CRIME. It is sort of like a "no contest" plea, from what I gather. If you would like to know the case that used the Alford plea that I have heard of, post a message and I will supply the name of the defendant. His case was on Dateline TV show before he entered the Alford plea. I do not know what effect the Alford plea has on the appeal process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">