• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do...........??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

globale

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

On September 16, 2004, I was terminated by a restaurant in my position as a manager for allegedly commiting theft. I am not guilty. I know that this is an at will employment state, and cannot sue for wrongful termination. I have been approved for unemployment on an appeal, but the employer is now appealing the appeals decision. The employer is insistent that their decision to terminate me was with cause even though it was not. They failed to participate in the initial appeal process and now want to reopen the appeal so that they may "present their case in greater detail." In my line of work, I rely on my integrity and honesty, and potential employers are not willing to employ me because of my length of employment with this previous employer and because of why I was discharged. I have discovered that other members of the community are aware of why I was discharged because one of my previous co-workers informed them that I "was stealing money." This unfortunate set of circumstances has made it near impossible to get a job, and destroyed my credability with potential employers. I have consulted an attorney in reference to wrongful termination, and know that that is not a valid suit. However, he did tell me that defamation and slander could be an option if I could prove that the 3rd party was negligent in their capacity of informing my previous employer of suspected wrongdoing on my behalf. How can I prove that if neither my previous employer, nor the computer maintenance company will provide me with the "evidence" they based their decision on and who can I sue for slander for telling others why I was fired??? Needing help in North Carolina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">