• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what Chance do i Have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigslink

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NYC, NY
On Oct 31, 2004, i slipped and fell into a sewer drain that was missing its protective guard. While falling i injured my knee. I was told that i had a partial tear in my miscous and no damage to my ligaments. The doctor who saw me wanted me to go thru therapy in hopes of strenghtening the muscles around the damaged area. Its been over a year and my condition isnt any better, there a feel that my bones are rubbing when i walk for a few blocks and my knee periodically gives way when i walk. All the attorneys i talked to wasnt interested in my case see that i dont have any completely rip/torn ligament. My time to bring a case against the city of new york is running out. If i were to represent myself what would be my chances.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

tijerin

If you want to sue the City of New York, I'd suggest a lawyer. i wouldn't want to represent myself against their counsel. How much damages are you looking for, maybe try Small Claims Court (if New York has one, and the amount you are looking for is less than whatever their maximum is)

I assume you meant the accident happened in 2003, correct? I injured my knee playing soccer in June, 2004 and the doctor suspected a torn meniscus. Figuring I could save some bucks, I didn't get an MRI then and assumed I could nurse it back to health. Long story short, finally got MRI which revealed torn ACL. Just had surgery in Dec. Knee is soooo much better. Costs so far (that insurance if finally paying off) are approx 23k for all related med expenses.

Of course, no one but myself was responsible for my injury. Moral of the story? Invest in an MRI. Torn ligaments are not always obvious. If you DO have more serious problems (meaning more serious dollars) perhaps you might find an attorney to take your case. A sort of rule of thumb used in settling a case is sometimes triple your medical costs, with 1/3 paying bills, 1/3 to you, and 1/3 to your attorney. So a torn meniscus is worth about $600 to a lawyer. But ACL or MCL reconstruction is worth much more. That is, of course, depending on the strength of your case. Something to mull over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">