• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are civil rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunterbuster33a

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Is the First Amendment a Civil Right?
If a newspaper decides not to print my letter to the editor have they violated my First Amendment Right to a Free Press? All of the other Amendments appear to be for individuals, why not this one? Provided there is no slander or libel in the letter to the editor, why should they be allowed to censor?

BelizeBreeze

hunterbuster33a said:
If a newspaper decides not to print my letter to the editor have they violated my First Amendment Right to a Free Press? All of the other Amendments appear to be for individuals, why not this one? Provided there is no slander or libel in the letter to the editor, why should they be allowed to censor?
No, the newspaper is a private entity. You ONLY have civil rights that eminate from the U.S. Government, NOT from private parties.

hunterbuster33a

So, as an individual or as a private employer it is impossible for me to violate someone's Civil Rights? Or more accurately, to be held accountable for violating someon'e Civil Rights?

BelizeBreeze

hunterbuster33a said:
So, as an individual or as a private employer it is impossible for me to violate someone's Civil Rights? Or more accurately, to be held accountable for violating someon'e Civil Rights?
I did not say that and I'm going no further until you cite a specific situation.

stephenk

hunterbuster33a said:

Do you really believe a newspaper must print the thousands of letters to the editor they receive?

JASMINEA

hunterbuster33a said:
I have encountered a similar problem. My husband and I were falsely accused of crimes which were printed on the front page. We have both been cleared and are suing the corrupt police department he works for but the paper won't touch the story. My attorney said they don't have to print anything they don't want to. No one said life if fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">