• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Terminator

What is the name of your state? Georgia

State is Georgia.

Hello:

My husband worked as a personal assistant to a celebrity for 3 yrs, during which, she gifted him with her expired and canceled passport as a keepsake. Stamped canceled/expired in 1995,issued in 1985. Recently, he found it, and thought a big fan might enjoy it, auctioned it on EBay. EBay took the listing, no problem. Indeed, a collector of this star's memorabilia, bid $2,600 for it. Another ''buyer'' asked my husband a lot of probing questions, also asking him to get off Ebay and email him directly. This "buyer" was a lawyer for the celeb, finding out my hubby;s name, email, where he worked, etc. This lawyer DID NOT ID HIMSELF WHILE DOING THIS.

This lawyer sent the winning bidder an email saying that my husband had stolen this passport (untrue, one must file a ''Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport'' known as Form DS-64, which they did not because it was gifted - hubby has other items she signed and gifted him with). No proof of "theft" there.

Here is the email sent to the winning bidder from the lawyer (he did NOT contact Ebay OR hubby with this.)

"Dear jjflen,

This passport was stolen from (SIC) the seller, LS, when he worked as
Ms. Celeb's assistant in the late nineties. She assumed that she had lost
it until we found out that it was being offered for sale on Ebay. We
investigated the matter and found that Mr. S was selling it and we
immediately sent him a demand letter and notice of intent to file criminal
charges. We informed Mr. S that on December 13, 2004, we will be turning this matter over to the FBI, as well as seeking civil remedies. By selling this item, Mr. S will not escape prosecution nor a civil suit, but it was necessary to put potential buyers on notice so that they would have advance knowledge that this property was stolen. I suggest that you do not purchase this item from Mr. S or you will be opening yourself up to legal liability, since we intend to pursue this matter vigorously."

Does this jerk have a case? I mean, the FBI on the matter? Doesn't the US Dept of State handle Passport issues? :mad:

We have been told that we can counter-sue this jerk for slander, tortious interference of a sale, and harassment.

What say you? Thanks so much in advance.

stevek3

The Terminator said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

State is Georgia.

Hello:

My husband worked as a personal assistant to a celebrity for 3 yrs, during which, she gifted him with her expired and canceled passport as a keepsake. Stamped canceled/expired in 1995,issued in 1985. Recently, he found it, and thought a big fan might enjoy it, auctioned it on EBay. EBay took the listing, no problem. Indeed, a collector of this star's memorabilia, bid $2,600 for it. Another ''buyer'' asked my husband a lot of probing questions, also asking him to get off Ebay and email him directly. This "buyer" was a lawyer for the celeb, finding out my hubby;s name, email, where he worked, etc. This lawyer DID NOT ID HIMSELF WHILE DOING THIS.

This lawyer sent the winning bidder an email saying that my husband had stolen this passport (untrue, one must file a ''Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport'' known as Form DS-64, which they did not because it was gifted - hubby has other items she signed and gifted him with). No proof of "theft" there.

Here is the email sent to the winning bidder from the lawyer (he did NOT contact Ebay OR hubby with this.)

"Dear jjflen,

This passport was stolen from (SIC) the seller, LS, when he worked as
Ms. Celeb's assistant in the late nineties. She assumed that she had lost
it until we found out that it was being offered for sale on Ebay. We
investigated the matter and found that Mr. S was selling it and we
immediately sent him a demand letter and notice of intent to file criminal
charges. We informed Mr. S that on December 13, 2004, we will be turning this matter over to the FBI, as well as seeking civil remedies. By selling this item, Mr. S will not escape prosecution nor a civil suit, but it was necessary to put potential buyers on notice so that they would have advance knowledge that this property was stolen. I suggest that you do not purchase this item from Mr. S or you will be opening yourself up to legal liability, since we intend to pursue this matter vigorously."

Does this jerk have a case? I mean, the FBI on the matter? Doesn't the US Dept of State handle Passport issues? :mad:

We have been told that we can counter-sue this jerk for slander, tortious interference of a sale, and harassment.

What say you? Thanks so much in advance.
If you're going to post it, then post the whole thing. Post it with the lawyer's name. Nothing illegal about that. In fact, post the celebrity's name, too. Nothing illegal about that, either.

stevek3

The Terminator said:
If you don't know, then go away.
I can now easily see why the guy is threatening you. You've got some of the same type of jerk at your keyboard that's getting you the exact same finger that Jake Plummer flipped at Denver's fans this past Sunday.

djohnson

The Terminator said:
If you don't know, then go away.

Did it occur to you that he may be trying to help you be verifying the it actually is an attorney. Knowing who you are dealing with can factor into advise.

stevek3

djohnson said:
Did it occur to you that he may be trying to help you be verifying the it actually is an attorney. Knowing who you are dealing with can factor into advise.
I sensed that her thieving husband was in serious legal trouble when she said the attorney letterhead reads "Law Offices of Lionel Hutz, Esquire."

tijerin

Am I stupid?

Basically, as I understand the description, you are saying that you SOLD a US PASSPORT (albeit expired) on EBAY to someone. (Doesn't matter who "gifted" it or who it originally belonged to). This law would seem to apply:

United States Code, Title 18, Section 1544. Misuse of passport

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, any
passport issued or designed for the use of another; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly uses or attempts to use any
passport in violation of the conditions or restrictions therein
contained, or of the rules prescribed pursuant to the laws
regulating the issuance of passports; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly furnishes, disposes of, or
delivers a passport to any person, for use by another than the
person for whose use it was originally issued and designed -

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25
years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of
international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this
title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a
drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929(a) of this
title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense,
if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of
international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years
(in the case of any other offense), or both."

Nowhere does it define "use", just that you "knowingly furnished, disposed of, and delivered" a passport for "use" by another than the person it was original designed" for.

I'm sure you "think" the buyer's intent was of a collectable nature (ie. a fan wanting a one-of-a-kind momento) but I don't think it matters what "use" the "other" person did. Also, you can never really "know" what their intent is. What if this person wants to perpetrate identity theft, or some other illegal activity with this "expired" passport. I'd think it'd be much easier to "alter" and expired passport than to "manufacture" one from scratch.

With all the terrorism and and altering of passports and such, I'd be VERY surprised if you can find anyone in FEDERAL law (or law enforcement) that would say what you did was allright, REGARDLESS of the fact of whether it was given to you as a momento by your former celebrity boss.

By the way, I didnt want to post the entire law but there is wording that it didn't matter whether it was expired or not.

And yes, seeing as it is a federal document, i would think the FBI "could" get involved, if they wish.

stevek3

tijerin said:
Basically, as I understand the description, you are saying that you SOLD a US PASSPORT (albeit expired) on EBAY to someone. (Doesn't matter who "gifted" it or who it originally belonged to). This law would seem to apply:

United States Code, Title 18, Section 1544. Misuse of passport

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, any
passport issued or designed for the use of another; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly uses or attempts to use any
passport in violation of the conditions or restrictions therein
contained, or of the rules prescribed pursuant to the laws
regulating the issuance of passports; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly furnishes, disposes of, or
delivers a passport to any person, for use by another than the
person for whose use it was originally issued and designed -

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25
years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of
international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this
title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a
drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929(a) of this
title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense,
if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of
international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years
(in the case of any other offense), or both."

Nowhere does it define "use", just that you "knowingly furnished, disposed of, and delivered" a passport for "use" by another than the person it was original designed" for.

I'm sure you "think" the buyer's intent was of a collectable nature (ie. a fan wanting a one-of-a-kind momento) but I don't think it matters what "use" the "other" person did. Also, you can never really "know" what their intent is. What if this person wants to perpetrate identity theft, or some other illegal activity with this "expired" passport. I'd think it'd be much easier to "alter" and expired passport than to "manufacture" one from scratch.

With all the terrorism and and altering of passports and such, I'd be VERY surprised if you can find anyone in FEDERAL law (or law enforcement) that would say what you did was allright, REGARDLESS of the fact of whether it was given to you as a momento by your former celebrity boss.

By the way, I didnt want to post the entire law but there is wording that it didn't matter whether it was expired or not.

And yes, seeing as it is a federal document, i would think the FBI "could" get involved, if they wish.
The passport issue wasn't the real issue. It got nasty shortly after her husband, in his sleazy pursuit of a buck, sold three separate pieces of Geraldo's mustache on eBay.

The Terminator

Stevek3

Steve:

I reacted to your first response because I already checked the attorney out -
I am not some stupid layman. I read law extensively for pleasure on the side. Your request was unnecessary at best, annoying at worst.

Yep, he IS a lawyer AND a certified idiot....and he has already violated two paragraphs in Section IV of that State's Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct by slandering my DH to a Third Party (she kindly forwarded the idiot lawyer's email to us), by calling him a "thief." The other violation has to do with his threats by using the office of the FBI and stating California Law violation (uhhh, ain't no statute in any of them thar codes 'bout that) for personal gain. Oh, I almost forgot, this lawyer LIED and posed as a buyer to get information out of my DH (DH told the exact truth--it was gifted), and then, turned around and LIED that it was stolen AFTER BEING TOLD IT WAS NOT and THREATENED a Third Party (the buyer) So, we have this idiot on wheels for slander, using or threatening to use the criminal process solely to coerce a party in a private matter, and making false statements of material fact or law to a third person. Shall I go on?

Just so you know: The US State Department deals with Lost/Stolen Passports, not the FBI. The celeb did not file a Lost/Stolen Passport form OR DS-11, at the time of the "loss" (1995), which is ABSOLUTELY necessary AT THE TIME OF THE LOSS. Uh, that'd be 1995 for the cheap seats. Why not, you ask? Because it wasn't LOST or STOLEN. A big, resounding "Hello" for the cheap seats. We have tons of stuff she gifted him with that HAVE CARDS SAYING TO HIM FROM HER.

And just for the record, the EBay website rule "Expired United States passports that were issued more than 20 years prior to the date of sale will be permitted." 2005-1985 = 20 Years for those of you who flunked math.

We have NOT sold it, so there ain't no case nohow.

And who is the idiot talking about the Geraldo moustache? Is she for real?

Later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">