• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does attorney mean in 'reasonable attorney fees'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xyzlost

What is the name of your state?Mississippi. I have a finance company and sue people often in justice court. The law allows me to charge a reasonable attorney fee. I pay an individual who is not a licensed attorney to write the court declarations and to appear in court on my behalf. I include these fees as attorney fees. I was audited by the state finance department and the auditor said if I were to charge attorney fees on suits I HAD to have an actual attorney that has a license to practice law or someone working under him to do my legal work. Is this true? Where does the law define the word 'attorney'?

badapple40

xyzlost said:
What is the name of your state?Mississippi. I have a finance company and sue people often in justice court. The law allows me to charge a reasonable attorney fee. I pay an individual who is not a licensed attorney to write the court declarations and to appear in court on my behalf. I include these fees as attorney fees. I was audited by the state finance department and the auditor said if I were to charge attorney fees on suits I HAD to have an actual attorney that has a license to practice law or someone working under him to do my legal work. Is this true? Where does the law define the word 'attorney'?
Yes, it is true, and the word attorney is defined by case law as one licensed to practice law.

In the jurisdictions I am licensed in, the bar association would file an action against you for your unauthorized practice of law by having a non-attorney appear in court on your behalf. I'm sure that is the case in Mississippi, and its just a matter of time before you find yourself in big trouble.

tijerin

Sounds to me like you're getting greedy. You're not a lawyer, nor do you hire one to sue people who default on their obligations to your finance company, yet you want to charge "attorney's fees". What's the point of that except to inflate the judgement/award?

Why not just hire an attorney? Assuming you win most of the time by default, you can recover the attorney's fees through the lawsuit/default judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">