• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I post identifying information about my neighbors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hankk

Hello,

I have been the victim of harassment by my neighbors. I had to call the police on them once because the verbal abuse in front of my 3 year old would not stop for the second day in a row. Since then they have unleashed a harassment campaign threatening to kill my son’s pet, reporting me to the city for alleged code violations and continuing verbal abuse.

I wrote an apologetic letter, asking them for reconciliation. In response I received a letter from a lawyer making a demand that I am not allowed to talk to them or even to look at them. I invited them to mediation through their lawyer which they declined.

This is a 2 part question;
For one, what exactly is a “demand”? There is no legal vehicle behind the lawyer’s demand (there has never been an incident where I responded in profanity or threatened them in any way). What can the lawyer do if I talk to them anyway (of course I cannot enter their property).

Second, since this situation is no acceptable for me I have to do something. The only thing that could work is to tell the community exactly what happened but putting up a sign in my front yard telling the whole story and naming my neighbors and telling the community that they filed a complaint about me (the issue is about a solar shed I built which the community has loved).
I believe that if the community is upset at them that they will change their behavior and stop harassing my family.

So my second question is, what could possibly happen to me if I post such a sign. Could this be construed as harassment although it is actual and non-defamatory or do I have a right to express myself in this way? Of course I would not tell neighbors to go their house to harass them.

Thank you kindly for you advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I have been the victim of harassment by my neighbors. I had to call the police on them once because the verbal abuse in front of my 3 year old would not stop for the second day in a row. Since then they have unleashed a harassment campaign threatening to kill my son’s pet, reporting me to the city for alleged code violations and continuing verbal abuse.

I wrote an apologetic letter, asking them for reconciliation. In response I received a letter from a lawyer making a demand that I am not allowed to talk to them or even to look at them. I invited them to mediation through their lawyer which they declined.

This is a 2 part question;
For one, what exactly is a “demand”? There is no legal vehicle behind the lawyer’s demand (there has never been an incident where I responded in profanity or threatened them in any way). What can the lawyer do if I talk to them anyway (of course I cannot enter their property).

Second, since this situation is no acceptable for me I have to do something. The only thing that could work is to tell the community exactly what happened but putting up a sign in my front yard telling the whole story and naming my neighbors and telling the community that they filed a complaint about me (the issue is about a solar shed I built which the community has loved).
I believe that if the community is upset at them that they will change their behavior and stop harassing my family.

So my second question is, what could possibly happen to me if I post such a sign. Could this be construed as harassment although it is actual and non-defamatory or do I have a right to express myself in this way? Of course I would not tell neighbors to go their house to harass them.

Thank you kindly for you advice.
Do you really think that putting a sign in your front yard is going to reduce the level of harassment you claim to be receiving?

CdwJava

I seriously doubt that a sign in your front yard would do anything at all to calm the situation. Most people are not going to bother to read a lengthy sign whining about your neighbor, and the neighbor is certain to be even more irritated with you. And, even those very few who bothered to read even part of the sign are not going to care. They don't know you, they don't know the neighbor, and they are not going to give a rat's behind about either of you. The ONLY end result of that endeavor would be to make the neighbor even more pissed off.

As for the letter from an attorney, it sounds as if it is a "cease and desist" letter of a sort, and those do not have any real legal support behind them. The lawyer can ASK anything, but they cannot force you not to look at the neighbor or even try and talk to them. However, depending on your un-named state, continued efforts to speak with the neighbors MAY be considered harassment or some other type of criminal offense.

The best thing might be to just ignore the neighbors. If they harass YOU, then call the police or hire your own attorney. But, if you continue to take action to try and contact them or poke the bear, so to speak, you may be on the receiving end of the law - either in civil court or criminal court.

Hankk

free speech or harassment?

Well, I was not wanting to go into detail but I have run out of options and only an escalation can bring change at this point, regrettably. And I was not looking for advice or opinion on my action. I just wanted to know if it is legal to post a sign saying true things about a neighbor. It this free speech or can it be construed as harassment? I am in washington state, if that makes a difference. Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, I was not wanting to go into detail but I have run out of options and only an escalation can bring change at this point, regrettably. And I was not looking for advice or opinion on my action. I just wanted to know if it is legal to post a sign saying true things about a neighbor. It this free speech or can it be construed as harassment? I am in washington state, if that makes a difference. Thank you
Move .

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It could be considered an eyesore.

No one wants to have a sign like that in their neighborhood - it certainly doesn't improve appearances or property values. You are not a good neighbor by anyone's standards if you put up such a sign.

Depending on local ordinances it may violate local zoning regulations.

Legal advice: if you are threatened, report it. Do not engage. Be a nice person to all your other neighbors. Do not gossip. If he is truly a vile human being, it will eventually be obvious to others.

eerelations

I'm curious about this "apologetic letter" you wrote to your neighbour - what exactly were you apologizing for?

quincy

There can be state or local ordinances that restrict the size and number and placement of signs. Content can be regulated only to the extent that it violates a law (hate speech, defamation, invasion of privacy ... the list goes on ). Truth would only be a defense to a claim of defamation.

I, too, am curious about why you felt the need to apologize to your neighbors. And why do you feel that escalating the dispute by posting signs is your only option? I can see many options that are preferable to escalation.

Hankk

Well my letter to them was not so much apologetic but it was very friendly stressing my strong preference to have peace and offering a talk, dispute resolution, etc...

Then I received a letter from their lawyer saying I cannot make eye contact or talk to them in any way.

My intentions is to get to talk to them and be reassured that they will no longer try to harm me. Otherwise I or my son will never feel safe in the yard. Even a no-contact order filed by me would not do that. The only way for me to get them to talk with me at this point is, sadly, to either file a law suit for harassment or to escalate the situation where it is bad enough that they have incentive to sort things out.

Oh and the sign would just say "my neighbors did that" not actually naming them (although it would be obvious. They would want other neighbors want to know what horrible things they did.

quincy

Well my letter to them was not so much apologetic but it was very friendly stressing my strong preference to have peace and offering a talk, dispute resolution, etc...

Then I received a letter from their lawyer saying I cannot make eye contact or talk to them in any way.

My intentions is to get to talk to them and be reassured that they will no longer try to harm me. Otherwise I or my son will never feel safe in the yard. Even a no-contact order filed by me would not do that. The only way for me to get them to talk with me at this point is, sadly, to either file a law suit for harassment or to escalate the situation where it is bad enough that they have incentive to sort things out.

Oh and the sign would just say "my neighbors did that" not actually naming them (although it would be obvious. They would want other neighbors want to know what horrible things they did.
I find your plan to be a very bad idea.

My feelings aside, you will need to check with your city or county to find out the restrictions on yard signs in your area. For an example, here is a link to Pierce County, Washington, on "signs" and what would violate the Pierce County codes: https://www.co.pierce.wa.us/index.aspx?nid=1580

Your sign would probably result in a visit from a local code enforcement officer and/or the police (if your neighbors report you, which they no doubt will).

If your neighbors do not want to talk to you, I personally would not force the issue.

justalayman

So they are leaving you alone and they demand you leave them alone but you aren't happy with that.

It's time to grow up and be an adult. They don't want to play with you anymore. It's time you found somebody else to play with.

Since your intent with the sign is in fact to harass the neighbors, don't get to upset when the police or prosecutor agree you have been successful in harassing them. I think the courts could consider the act of putting up the sign as being malicious and with intent to cause the neighbor harm to their mental held.

RCW 9A.46.020
Definition—Penalties.
(1) A person is guilty of harassment if:

(iv) Maliciously to do any other act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or another with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety; and
(b) The person by words or conduct places the person threatened in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out. "Words or conduct" includes, in addition to any other form of communication or conduct, the sending of an electronic communication.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

So don't talk to them.

They don't want to talk to you. So don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">