• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What makes someone get jury duty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am very curious about how somebody is picked for jury duty. From what information do they get the names from? I once heard that registering to vote makes you eligible. Is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am very curious about how somebody is picked for jury duty. From what information do they get the names from? I once heard that registering to vote makes you eligible. Is this true?

My response:

In California, for example, the information comes from the Department of Motor Vehicles. I imagine it's the same in Ohio.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbg said:
In my state, it is registering to vote.

My response:

That doesn't make any sense. Getting called for jury duty is, for some people, like going to your dental appointment. People wouldn't register to vote if your response was true. However, people NEED to drive, so people take the good along with what they perceive is the bad; i.e., Being called for jury service. They need to drive, but they don't need to vote.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Well, I did a little research on the Ohio voting site on this subject and, surprise, surprise!

"Names of potential jurors are randomly selected from a county's list of registered voters. To be eligible, one must be 18 or over, a citizen of the United States, a resident of the jurisdiction, able to speak English, and unblemished by a felony conviction. Those persons selected will receive a summons, which explains how the recipient must respond and the consequences for failing to respond. Failure to respond may subject the recipient to a contempt of court hearing."

I wouldn't register to vote if jury service was a sticking point.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"They need to drive, but they don't need to vote."

I respectfully beg to differ.

I have a friend who lives downtown in a city with reliable and available public transportation. She has chosen to do without the high cost of parking and garaging a car, and not only does not own a car, but has allowed her driver's license to lapse. (Yes, I agree, that was foolish of her.) When the professional organization that we both belong to meets outside the city, she takes public transportation as far as it will take her, then someone who lives in that area picks her up and takes her the rest of the way. Because she has no car and no license, the RMV has no record of her. Which is all well and good, if she is one of those who does not want to serve on a jury. But what if she's one who does? They do exist.

What about those who have a physical handicap that makes it impossible or unwise for them to drive? A physical handicap doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your mental processes. I am legally blind in one eye and have a restricted license. What if I were legally blind in both eyes? That doesn't make me incapable of serving on a jury. But it does make me unable to drive.

oracle117

is that for sure for california?

california

is that for sure that they do not pull jurers from the voter records, just dmv?

i have three friends that i am trying to get to vote every time there is an election and they will not vote because they think they will be called for jury duty if they do. i want to be sure i tell them the truth or they will kill me otherwise.

they saY they have never been called because they do not register to vote.

another friend of mine says she was registered and did not vote and did not get called for jury duty, but them she voted and within 6 months got jury duty and feels it was because she voted.

thanks

ShyCat

I think anyone who would give up the right to vote to avoid jury duty deserves exactly what they get -- no say in their community, state and country -- and we're all better off without their worthless input at the polls or in the jury room.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">