• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the penalties if I don't pay a judgement against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaxonbrown

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

After browsing through this forum, it seems there's a lot of people who have problems collecting judgements from civil cases. They sue someone and get the judgement and then the person sued doesn't pay. So does this mean if I get sued by somebody and am ordered to pay them, I can just not pay and rely on a sluggish and backlogged court system to never enforce the judgement?

On the other hand, if I sue someone and win a judgement and they never pay, what will happen to them? anything?

At my previous job, I remember speaking to a woman whose husband got in a car accident. Her husband got fired for no reason and he sued the company for a sum of money. He won the case and the company was ordered to pay but the company flat out said they wouldn't pay him a cent. I don't know what the outcome was but do courts have any power in enforcing judgements like these? or is it up to the person to collect?

Happy Trails

jaxonbrown said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

After browsing through this forum, it seems there's a lot of people who have problems collecting judgements from civil cases. They sue someone and get the judgement and then the person sued doesn't pay. So does this mean if I get sued by somebody and am ordered to pay them, I can just not pay and rely on a sluggish and backlogged court system to never enforce the judgement?

On the other hand, if I sue someone and win a judgement and they never pay, what will happen to them? anything?

At my previous job, I remember speaking to a woman whose husband got in a car accident. Her husband got fired for no reason and he sued the company for a sum of money. He won the case and the company was ordered to pay but the company flat out said they wouldn't pay him a cent. I don't know what the outcome was but do courts have any power in enforcing judgements like these? or is it up to the person to collect?
Garnishment-Liens-Writ of Execution

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_claim_06.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">