• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the best was to depose an out-of-state witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dixiethepixie

What is the name of your state? California

Hi! Thanks for being here!

The opposing party in my case has filed a declaration that is at best inadmissable. It is based upon belief with no first-hand knowledge, and the opposing party's case is based soley upon the declarant's testimony. I think that the opposing party thinks they have a shot cuz I'm pro per, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion!

I want to depose the declarant, but she is out-of-state. I have heard that it is difficult to enforce subpoenas, and I'd rather not foot the bill for travel expenses. I suppose I could fly out there and hire a court reporter, but what about a written deposition? I haven't found much information about them in the code. How are they normally done? What is a normal heading?

Again, thanks much. These are strange waters...

Alias_joe

Never served a written depo- though I have answered one.

You sued, right?

Does your court have jurisdiction on the person?

If so, you could depose over the phone if you want. Otherwise:

They are a party(?)
admissions!!!!
Then follow up with very selctive interrogatories.

Is there a maximum number of admissions you can serve in Calif?
Get a copy of your Rules-
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/rules/
http://www.nocall.org/rulesof.htm

Don't travel for a deposition without a written agreement that they will be present. Otherwise, when they aren't what are you going to do? Motion to Compel- a little late. Think the judge will make them pay? Doubtful.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dixiethepixie said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hi! Thanks for being here!

The opposing party in my case has filed a declaration that is at best inadmissable. It is based upon belief with no first-hand knowledge, and the opposing party's case is based soley upon the declarant's testimony. I think that the opposing party thinks they have a shot cuz I'm pro per, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion!

I want to depose the declarant, but she is out-of-state. I have heard that it is difficult to enforce subpoenas, and I'd rather not foot the bill for travel expenses. I suppose I could fly out there and hire a court reporter, but what about a written deposition? I haven't found much information about them in the code. How are they normally done? What is a normal heading?

Again, thanks much. These are strange waters...

My response:

File your Motion for Written Deposition under CCP section 2025(i)(6).

IAAL

dixiethepixie

Thank you... Procedure related to written deposition?

Hi! I'm in sunny California...

Thanks for your responses!

Replies and questions for "Alias Joe"

Yes, I am being sued and have filed a cross-complaint.

How do you depose over the phone? Does the court reporter sit with the deponent? Does the opposing party's attorney help with the arrangements? I could just schedule something with the oppositing party's attorney...

Yes, I have used up all of my 35 interrogatories... I can find in the code no limit to the number of admissions, just a limit to interrogatories.

No, the declarant is not a party to the action. The party is a corporation and she works for them.

Question for "IAAL":

So this is something the court needs to hear before proceeding? Can I file this motion ex parte? (Probably not) What is included in the motion? The suggested date? Does the court order the party to be deposed?

Thanks, both of you, ever so much....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">