• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for correcting my father's headstone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manmar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My father passed away in December of 2012, from lung cancer. It had spread to his brain. For the entirety of December, he was bedridden and communication was varied. He was on a lot of morphine and slept most of the time. We wanted to make sure his live-in girlfriend knew we appreciated that she took care of him, so we included her making the funeral plans. She told us she was donating his personal property to charity, and we agreed to this. He hadn't left a will.

So, a few months pass. Word reaches us that she didn't donate anything to charity. She, instead, gave it to her father. My father didn't have much, but he had a few expensive guitars and amps and so forth. No one was happy with this, and while we were deciding what to do, the monument had been installed at the cemetery. This, too, she felt the need to take over. It was supposed to be double headstone, but one that clearly indicated that they were not married. We have never been on good terms with her--hell, my father wasn't on good terms with her most of the time--and we wanted the headstone to reflect that she was not our mother and that she was not his wife. She had initially agreed to this. And here's where it gets crazy:

The girlfriend begins telling people that she's getting her last name changed to Williams, like my father's. We were like, you're not, because you can't marry a dead man. Our feeling was that if he had wanted to marry her, he had more than enough time to do so. He didn't marry her, so ergo, she had no right to do that. But then she comes out with this gem: she says they were married in December, two weeks before he died. Well, you can't marry a guy who is practically in a coma, either. But it didn't stop there; apparently, my father signed a notarized piece of paper stating that none of his children were to receive any of his property. According to her, our father hated us so much, he managed to get out of his hospital bed, drive himself to the notary, and made this declaration.

We managed to get his personal property back, by threatening to sue. We later find out that she implied (or outright said) that she was my father's wife, allowing her to alter the headstone. It's upsetting to see the headstone as it stands, to be reminded of her lack of respect towards him and towards us. Don't we, as his heirs, technically own it?

My question is this: who is responsible for correcting this? Is it the girlfriend, who lied and misrepresented herself? Is it the funeral home who didn't make sure they were married? Or is it the monument company?

Silverplum

My father passed away in December of 2012, from lung cancer. It had spread to his brain. For the entirety of December, he was bedridden and communication was varied. He was on a lot of morphine and slept most of the time. We wanted to make sure his live-in girlfriend knew we appreciated that she took care of him, so we included her making the funeral plans. She told us she was donating his personal property to charity, and we agreed to this. He hadn't left a will.

So, a few months pass. Word reaches us that she didn't donate anything to charity. She, instead, gave it to her father. My father didn't have much, but he had a few expensive guitars and amps and so forth. No one was happy with this, and while we were deciding what to do, the monument had been installed at the cemetery. This, too, she felt the need to take over. It was supposed to be double headstone, but one that clearly indicated that they were not married. We have never been on good terms with her--hell, my father wasn't on good terms with her most of the time--and we wanted the headstone to reflect that she was not our mother and that she was not his wife. She had initially agreed to this. And here's where it gets crazy:

The girlfriend begins telling people that she's getting her last name changed to Williams, like my father's. We were like, you're not, because you can't marry a dead man. Our feeling was that if he had wanted to marry her, he had more than enough time to do so. He didn't marry her, so ergo, she had no right to do that. But then she comes out with this gem: she says they were married in December, two weeks before he died. Well, you can't marry a guy who is practically in a coma, either. But it didn't stop there; apparently, my father signed a notarized piece of paper stating that none of his children were to receive any of his property. According to her, our father hated us so much, he managed to get out of his hospital bed, drive himself to the notary, and made this declaration.

We managed to get his personal property back, by threatening to sue. We later find out that she implied (or outright said) that she was my father's wife, allowing her to alter the headstone. It's upsetting to see the headstone as it stands, to be reminded of her lack of respect towards him and towards us. Don't we, as his heirs, technically own it?

My question is this: who is responsible for correcting this? Is it the girlfriend, who lied and misrepresented herself? Is it the funeral home who didn't make sure they were married? Or is it the monument company?
She can rename herself anything she wishes, up to and including "Princess Bubblegum Williams."

It doesn't make her your mother, nor does it make her your Dad's wife.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Antigone*

You cannot control whether this woman changes her last name or not. I don't see that anything illegal happened here.

manmar

I suppose my main concern is the headstone. She changed it. That is the bottom line. We agreed on one thing, and then she was all "nope! We got married right before he died, so watch me do as I please!" There was no marriage. She was attempting to retroactively marry a dead man.

Antigone*

I suppose my main concern is the headstone. She changed it. That is the bottom line. We agreed on one thing, and then she was all "nope! We got married right before he died, so watch me do as I please!" There was no marriage. She was attempting to retroactively marry a dead man.
Seeing as your father has passed, he isn't going to care much about what the headstone says.

Silverplum

I don't understand what she changed on the headstone. His name, his dates of birth and death are pretty non-negotiable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand what she changed on the headstone. His name, his dates of birth and death are pretty non-negotiable.
I believe she had the headstone changed to reflect HER name.

<opinion>
I believe that the kids are truly hurt by this woman "replacing" their mother in the final days of their father's life. It's unfortunate, but understandable. I feel sorry for them. All of this bickering won't do a thing to relieve the pain of their father's passing and, in fact, will only serve to prolong it. The family should attend grief counseling to help them get past this.
</opinion>

Antigone*

It appears to me that it is a double headstone and she added her new name to the stone. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got.

manmar

Of course his name and the dates are correct. It is a double headstone, and was supposed to include both last names. Now she's trying to get a marriage date added. The problem is she changed the design and her name. Sure, I can't stop her from changing her last name (though I can go to the court to object to it), but I should be able to stop her from representing herself as his wife and, by doing so, any legal rights to his property. The problem is that she lied and told the funeral director that they were married. She was able to override the decisions made by his children. Perhaps I'm overreacting, based on the contentious relationship I have always had with her. I just feel that she had no business to do this, no right to pretend they were husband and wife.

Antigone*

Of course his name and the dates are correct. It is a double headstone, and was supposed to include both last names. Now she's trying to get a marriage date added. The problem is she changed the design and her name. Sure, I can't stop her from changing her last name (though I can go to the court to object to it), but I should be able to stop her from representing herself as his wife and, by doing so, any legal rights to his property. The problem is that she lied and told the funeral director that they were married. She was able to override the decisions made by his children. Perhaps I'm overreacting, based on the contentious relationship I have always had with her. I just feel that she had no business to do this, no right to pretend they were husband and wife.
Again, her name change is her business, it still does not legally make her his wife. Now a marriage certificate is a different story!

Silverplum

Grief affects people in many different ways. :(

LdiJ

You could always have the headstone replaced with one that reflects what you and the rest of his next of kin wants it to reflect. It will cost some money, but you can do that. You will have to make sure however, if she owns the plot next to his, that you place it so that it won't infringe on her plot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">