• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whose dog is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nancy Taylor

What is the name of your state? OH
My daughter had a friend who was living with us at the time I got a puppy from a friend. I felt as if she was my own daughter and member of the family. She had never had a dog before and really took to this puppy. The puppy was actually gotten as a family pet, not for anyone specifically. She lived with us for another 1 1/2 yrs after getting the dog. She has been gone for approx 2 yrs now, living in another town, she has visited occasionally and taken the dog for walks. Over the period of time I have had the dog she has paid 2 small vet bills, my daughter and I have also paid vet bills over the last 3 1/2 yrs that we have had the dog. I have paid for all food/toys/treats and anyother things you would normally do. Recently she called and said she now has an apartment that allows pets and she would like to have her dog. We told her that "Sayde" was not her dog. Then I learned that last fall when she told Sayde to the vet for me she got rabie shot and then got a license for sayde in her name. Now the dog warden says that she legally owns sayde because she has a legal license. She then went to our local sheriffs department who told her it was a civil matter and she would have to sue me to get sayde. The other night I came home and sayde is gone, she came and took sayde from my house. Now the sheriff says that I can press trespassing charges but I will have to sue her to get my dog back. Is this small claims court is this civil court, do I need a lawyer? HELP!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">