• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witness fee=obligation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I have been subphoenaed to appear in cout for a criminal trial. My role would be as a witness for the District Attorney. On the subphoena, it states that I should get to the courthouse early and register for witness fees.

I have a question about this fee. If I register for, and receive it, is there any kind of obligation that comes with it that would be absent if I didn't register for, or accept it?

seniorjudge

Q: If I register for, and receive it, is there any kind of obligation that comes with it that would be absent if I didn't register for, or accept it?

A: Yes. You will not be allowed to buy illegal substances with the dough.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Q: If I register for, and receive it, is there any kind of obligation that comes with it that would be absent if I didn't register for, or accept it?

A: Yes. You will not be allowed to buy illegal substances with the dough.
But, he COULD buy dough with it!

Torellian

Ok. So how about as it relates to the court case that I'd be testifying in? Once I'm being paid to testify for one side or the other, am I under any special legal obligations?

Rexlan

No obligations ... come on, be serious. Your obligation is to tell the truth and you can go to jail if you don't and get caught.

The fees are similar to jury duty fees and a poultry amount. $30-50

Whether or not you register for and/or accept the witness fees will not change your obligation to testify.

As one judge told a witness once ... if you don't show up on the day you are supposed to, I'll be happy to send someone to give you a ride ... as long as you don't mind the flashing blue and red lights.

Torellian

Whether or not you register for and/or accept the witness fees will not change your obligation to testify.

As one judge told a witness once ... if you don't show up on the day you are supposed to, I'll be happy to send someone to give you a ride ... as long as you don't mind the flashing blue and red lights.
Thank you for the information. I guess I'll have nothing to gain by not accepting the fee then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">