• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witness Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dg2291

What is the name of your state? California
My Husband and I recieved a suboena to appear in a divorce case before we even appeared we demanded witness fees. The Attorney told us to sumit a bill to him and he would them make sure it would be paid due to this case being 1200 miles round trip. Here we are 4 months later and he still has not paid us our witness fees. Today we finally received a call from the attorneys office and they said that all the money is in a trust fund and unless our friend tells him to release the funds he can't do it. My question is why should we have to wait I thought witness fees are paid for when asked and sometimes before travel isn't this true? Any advice on what we should do?

tijerin

Just because YOU are in California, doesn't mean that the laws in California apply to this situation. You say that you were a witness in a case "1200 miles away". In what state is the lawsuit proceeding? Is that the same place that you went to be a witness?

IF the lawsuit was in another state, which you subsequently travelled to to be a witness, the laws regarding witness fees IN THAT STATE may apply rather than the ones in California.

You should check out the laws regarding witness fees in the state you travelled to to testify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">