• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wont return Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iowaguntrader

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I hope this is the right forum.

Hey all, I want to thank anyone that replies in advance. Here is my issue:

On 10-21-13 I signed a vehicle service agreement printed off Law Depot with a guy claiming to be a mechanic. He was supposed to replace a transmission in our vehicle and rebuild the motor. The contract contained the date it would be complete 11-24-13, specified what was to be done, and total cost.

I paid him almost 50% upfront to purchase his transmission, and the remainder was for motor parts. He was supposed to provide weekly updates, when the updates failed to come in I started to contact him looking for these updates. It was excuse after excuse and then he told me his infant child passes away. At that point I backed off of the updates and told him to take a couple of weeks to spend with his family and grieve, they needed him more then I needed my vehicle. A few weeks later the deadline came and passed. So I contact him and he told me the vehicle was all but finished, it would be delivered in a couple of days. The day came that it was supposed to be delivered and I couldn’t reach him. Using some public resources I was able to locate his mother-n-law, who told me that his daughter had not passed away, essentially he was a habitual liar, and that he was not a mechanic, and the vehicle had been damaged by someone trying to steal something off it.

After things went south at his house he called me and told me that he had ruined my motor and that he had not replaced my transmission, but fixed it. We agreed that a third party (actual mechanic) would fix the vehicle at no cost to me; he would cover all parts and labor. On 12-13-13 we met and he signed an amendment to our original contract stating a third party would finish the vehicle at his cost. This was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks went by and still no vehicle, on 12-27-13, I called him and he told me the truck was going to be finished on 12-30-13 an returned that morning, he even put a mechanic on the phone from the garage. 12-30-13 came and went and no vehicle, I called the third party and he said he had the truck, but was waiting on a motor and the truck was never close to be fixed. So I have no idea who he put on the phone claiming to be the mechanic.

So I told him I was going to court and we would let the legal system resolve this issue. That when he suggested that we go to a mechanic of my choice and he foot the bill. He stated he was approved for $4800 to have the vehicle fixed. I asked him if he would be interested in just purchasing the vehicle to resolve the issue as I really wasn’t sure if I wanted the vehicle back after what it had done too it. He agreed and I created a purchase agreement on 1-05-14 stating that he would make a full payment for the vehicle on 1-7-15. He said he was bank approved and was waiting for the check hold to be removed. Also on the 5th he was given a demand letter stating that if he didn’t satisfy the purchase agreement the truck needed to be returned on 1-8-14. It was dated 1-3-14.

So since then I’ve gotten a few responses, but only empty promises. The truck was going to be returned yesterday, he had most of the money etc…

I contacted the county attorney in his county and he stated that since the contracts where drawn up in my county that is where legal proceedings need to take place, he also stated that the guy had not committed any crimes. That surprised me as I would have thought there would have been some sort of fraud or theft law.

Anyway any advice? The party lives about 2 hours away. I want our vehicle returned, that was a condition in the contract, that he was responsible for picking up and returning the vehicle. I know I’m going to have to sue him, but I’m not sure if I should go small claims or hire an attorney.

I know I screwed up by looking for someone online and not seeing their shop and getting references.

iowaguntrader

The first original contract was signed in my driveway when he brought the roll back to pick up the vehicle. The amendment was signed in the parking lot of where I work (a different county), and the purchase contract was signed in my county.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The limit for small claims cases in your state is $5,000.00. You will need to decide what is most economical for you. Keep in mind that, unless your contract allows for it, attorneys fees are not recoverable.

iowaguntrader

The contract states this:

Costs and Legal Expenses
25. In the event that legal action is brought to enforce or interpret any term of this Agreement,
the prevailing Party will be entitled to recover, in addition to any other damages or award, all
reasonable legal costs and fees associated with the action.

Are legal fees and costs considered part of the $5000?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The contract states this:

Costs and Legal Expenses
25. In the event that legal action is brought to enforce or interpret any term of this Agreement,
the prevailing Party will be entitled to recover, in addition to any other damages or award, all
reasonable legal costs and fees associated with the action.

Are legal fees and costs considered part of the $5000?
Yes.

Is that clause included in all of the contracts? I would lean towards that final contract being the one you need to sue on.

iowaguntrader

I appreciate your replies very much!!!

Of the three contracts that is in the original one.

The second contract is only an amendment to the original and it states:

Service Provider and Customer understand that this Addendum only makes the above additions to the Original Agreement; the Original Agreement is still an active and legal document.

The amendment just allowed a third party to finish the work.

The third and final contract we have that is signed is an agreement for the guy to purchase the truck. However it has also expired since he didn't satisfy the agreement. He agreed to purchase the vehicle for $6500, placed a non-refundable down payment of 650 down and that is what we have between each other.

I don’t know if the purchase agreement would void the original service agreement or not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I hope this is the right forum.

Hey all, I want to thank anyone that replies in advance. Here is my issue:

On 10-21-13 I signed a vehicle service agreement printed off Law Depot with a guy claiming to be a mechanic. He was supposed to replace a transmission in our vehicle and rebuild the motor. The contract contained the date it would be complete 11-24-13, specified what was to be done, and total cost.

I paid him almost 50% upfront to purchase his transmission, and the remainder was for motor parts. He was supposed to provide weekly updates, when the updates failed to come in I started to contact him looking for these updates. It was excuse after excuse and then he told me his infant child passes away. At that point I backed off of the updates and told him to take a couple of weeks to spend with his family and grieve, they needed him more then I needed my vehicle. A few weeks later the deadline came and passed. So I contact him and he told me the vehicle was all but finished, it would be delivered in a couple of days. The day came that it was supposed to be delivered and I couldn’t reach him. Using some public resources I was able to locate his mother-n-law, who told me that his daughter had not passed away, essentially he was a habitual liar, and that he was not a mechanic, and the vehicle had been damaged by someone trying to steal something off it.

After things went south at his house he called me and told me that he had ruined my motor and that he had not replaced my transmission, but fixed it. We agreed that a third party (actual mechanic) would fix the vehicle at no cost to me; he would cover all parts and labor. On 12-13-13 we met and he signed an amendment to our original contract stating a third party would finish the vehicle at his cost. This was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks went by and still no vehicle, on 12-27-13, I called him and he told me the truck was going to be finished on 12-30-13 an returned that morning, he even put a mechanic on the phone from the garage. 12-30-13 came and went and no vehicle, I called the third party and he said he had the truck, but was waiting on a motor and the truck was never close to be fixed. So I have no idea who he put on the phone claiming to be the mechanic.

So I told him I was going to court and we would let the legal system resolve this issue. That when he suggested that we go to a mechanic of my choice and he foot the bill. He stated he was approved for $4800 to have the vehicle fixed. I asked him if he would be interested in just purchasing the vehicle to resolve the issue as I really wasn’t sure if I wanted the vehicle back after what it had done too it. He agreed and I created a purchase agreement on 1-05-14 stating that he would make a full payment for the vehicle on 1-7-15. He said he was bank approved and was waiting for the check hold to be removed. Also on the 5th he was given a demand letter stating that if he didn’t satisfy the purchase agreement the truck needed to be returned on 1-8-14. It was dated 1-3-14.

So since then I’ve gotten a few responses, but only empty promises. The truck was going to be returned yesterday, he had most of the money etc…

I contacted the county attorney in his county and he stated that since the contracts where drawn up in my county that is where legal proceedings need to take place, he also stated that the guy had not committed any crimes. That surprised me as I would have thought there would have been some sort of fraud or theft law.

Anyway any advice? The party lives about 2 hours away. I want our vehicle returned, that was a condition in the contract, that he was responsible for picking up and returning the vehicle. I know I’m going to have to sue him, but I’m not sure if I should go small claims or hire an attorney.

I know I screwed up by looking for someone online and not seeing their shop and getting references.
Is the bolded a typo? Is that date in the contract?

iowaguntrader

Is the bolded a typo? Is that date in the contract?
Sorry, Yes that is a typo on my part. The sales agreement contract states 1-7-14.

The reason the contract was so short was supposedly he had the money and just needed a few days to get it from his bank/grandfather.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">