• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it worth contesting these expired tag tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brettr0127

Live in WA state. My car was parked in a private parking spot belonging to my unit right outside my duplex for a weekend as I was visiting CA. Didn't realize tags had been expired for 6 months. When I came home I had a ticket for expired tabs. Moved the car so a roommate could back out the next day and parked on public street for a few hours, walked out and found another ticket. It was then that I finally went to the DOL to get new tags. Considering I was parked in my private spot, did the officer have the right to ticket my car?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Although it is probably not worth it to contest expired tag tickets, what is the name of your state? Some states allow for you to demonstrate that you have "fixed" the problem and the ticket is dismissed.

FlyingRon

If these were California tickets (now that you've edited your original post), then they are likely correctable. Bring proof that you have current registration now to the court (on or before your appearance date) and you can likely get them dismissed for a $25 fee.

quincy

... Live in WA state ...
It appears that the expired tags were on Brett's car parked in Washington.

It does not appear that Washington is as generous as California when it comes to dismissing tickets. I found no "fix it" provision.

Here is a link to the law (RCW 46.16A.030): http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.030

I do not see that Brett has good reason to argue the expired tags (as they were expired for 6 months before he was ticketed and he was ticketed twice) but if it is still within 15 days from receipt of the tickets, Brett can request a mitigation hearing. He could potentially get the fine reduced or he could ask for community service hours in lieu of the fine or he could try to set up a payment plan (this according to DMV.org).

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Oops I misread that. I thought he got the tickets in California while visiting, but you are right it appears Washington wrote the tickets while he was away in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">