• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrecked Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Isis69isis

What is the name of your state?Ohio

My roommate stole my car while drunk last November and totalled it. Insurance would only pay for the front and side car damage but not the back end as the adjuster could not decide how the rear was damaged as well. The roommate assured me he would pay for the damamge as soon as he got a second job.

It's been some time now and I have done everything to get him to pay me - not only for this but back utility money and rent.

No charges were pressed against him at the time, he begged me not to - in exchange he would try to pay me back as quick as possible.

I've given him more than enough time. What can I do? Can criminal charges still be filed?

n_and

What can I do?
If damages are under $3,000.00, take him to small claims court.

Can criminal charges still be filed?
Probably not. How are you going to prove he stole the car? You can't, it was almost 9 months ago.

Was a police report filed at the time of the accident? Did you save mechanic's reciepts, auto-body reciepts, etc.?

I

Isis69isis

Wrecked car!

Apparentyl when he wrecked the car, there was a report, police and an ambulance were on the scene. The emergency room staff told us when he CALLED FOR A RIDE HOME - geez - that he reeked of alcohol. He stated to us that the cops didn't file driving without a license, driving while intoxicated or theft charges because he was so worried I would be mad. He made a statement to my insureance company that he was drunk and he did take the car without permission.

He owes me for everything over $5000 now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">