• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Noise Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smortl

So back when the school year first started my house was throwing a little pre-drink party before heading downtown. We have a front porch and roughly 10 were out there smoking and talking.
I was upstairs in my room doing an online quiz at this point
4 men come on our property and start chatting with my roommate. Thinking they were neighbours, they invited them in, and they responded with pulling out badges and revealed themselves as undercovers looking for the owners (after they entered our property and came to the porch). At this point my one roommate came and got me and I came downstairs at this point (completely sober).
They claimed that they could hear our wild party (which it clearly was not with 10 guests. They also wrote in the incident report there was loud music playing which there wasn't) down the block and came to break it up. When me and 1 other roommate went to talk to them they demanded that we all immediately leave. At this point I told everyone to go inside and they did. After a long time trying to convince the cops that they were leaving shortly they got fed up and demanded they see the other 4 roommates. 1 was out of town and the other 3 were already downtown. After my roommate informed the cops of this they snapped and said "THATS IT!" and took my and my roommate's IDs and went to their van. They returned with a court date and then left.

I would like any advice on how to get out of this situation while presenting in court this wednesday. Thanks!
Note: We were all of legal drinking age and this occurred in London, Ontario.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So back when the school year first started my house was throwing a little pre-drink party before heading downtown. We have a front porch and roughly 10 were out there smoking and talking.
I was upstairs in my room doing an online quiz at this point
4 men come on our property and start chatting with my roommate. Thinking they were neighbours, they invited them in, and they responded with pulling out badges and revealed themselves as undercovers looking for the owners (after they entered our property and came to the porch). At this point my one roommate came and got me and I came downstairs at this point (completely sober).
They claimed that they could hear our wild party (which it clearly was not with 10 guests. They also wrote in the incident report there was loud music playing which there wasn't) down the block and came to break it up. When me and 1 other roommate went to talk to them they demanded that we all immediately leave. At this point I told everyone to go inside and they did. After a long time trying to convince the cops that they were leaving shortly they got fed up and demanded they see the other 4 roommates. 1 was out of town and the other 3 were already downtown. After my roommate informed the cops of this they snapped and said "THATS IT!" and took my and my roommate's IDs and went to their van. They returned with a court date and then left.

I would like any advice on how to get out of this situation while presenting in court this wednesday. Thanks!
Note: We were all of legal drinking age and this occurred in London, Ontario.
I guess I missed the news about the acquisition of your little town in Canada...welcome to the United States!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">