• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful sale of property: what are my options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninak

What is the name of your state? texas
my self-storage comp. auctioned off the contents of my unit without notifying me first and did not allow me to satisfy debt prior to auction date when i contacted them by email. what can i do????? where do i start??????
please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kingzito

You should check what the rental contract you signed when you got the space reads. It may have given them authorization.
Why did you send an e-mail? Did you get confirmation of receipt of the e-mail stating that you would be given a period of time to satisfy the debt or did you just send it and hope/wish everything to be OK? Could you have called and spoke with the Manager or have gone in person? Also, when you rented the space, you agreed to specific terms, like paying, why did you stop.

Start with the contract and good luck.

PS. Not trying to sound harsh but you are upset that your stuff got sold when you dind't fullfill your side of the agreement.

ninak

cirmunstances

Kingzito,
I would love to check my contract but it was in the unit along with the rest of my life.

I sent an email to the district manager on the advice of the local manager, to see if I could make arrangements to satisfy my debt before any sale.

yes, i received a confirmation email stating that there wasn't anything i could do and that the sale would proceed at the scheduled date and time (which by the way was not given to me then or by notice of any kind).

If I had a car and/or a phone I certainly would have gone in person.

I didn't choose to stop paying, I am unemployed and my un-employment benefits ran out before I have been able to find a job.

I'm not looking to shuck off my obligation. If I had been advised and aware of the date and time of the sale i may or may not have been able to satisfy my debt. If I could not so be it, my loss.

This company choose to assume I was not capable and did not advise me of the date/time of sale. I was not given the option to satisfy my debt and therefore everything I had to my name is gone. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">