• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongly convicted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

California
Were you the one who was wrongly convicted?

On what charge or charges were you (or the person in question) convicted?

How was it wrongful?

(as a note: the "preview post" function on this site sometimes malfunctions and will delete a post's content upon submission - that is probably what happened to your post. You can just "reply to thread" or add content to your original post using the "edit post" feature found in the right hand corner of the post)

Last edited:

quincy

Miss innocent, if you can answer the questions asked in the above post, we can start to get your thread "off the ground" and try to assist you.

Thanks.

Miss innocent

Wrongfully convicted

I am so worried, in a civil suite (money) against me, l have been sued for the persons medical bills. $1200.00. Although she attacked me, I am SSDI & SS. I am over 65, am I going to be able to use exemptions to save my personal things but most of all my car? I owe $4487.00 still paying on it, it is worth mayby 5890.00 To used car or private maybe at the most 689.00. If so I don'T know what exemptios to use. Please help. This is so very important to me. In the state of california.

Miss innocent

Wrongfully convicted

For Quincy, yes I was the one that was wrongfully convicted I was charged with a lawsuit for the other party's medical bills in a civil harassment restraining order,. She lied in court and the judge believe everything she said she would not listen to me the judge made my witness stand outside in the hallway and never even talk to her she would not accept any of my affidavit from my witnesses who couldn't get to to court she accused me of my thumb in which this party bit,
said that it was not hurt that bad and I didn't ha ve blood all over me and yes I did and I have witnesses to prove it she said just did t of things that I think was just out of line I wanted to transcript but it cost $250 I don't have any money. I am so scared and I'm not going to be able to use my exemptions because I liveread somewhere that you can't use exemptions in case of medical bills, medical bills must be paid I am so scared she's already messed up my life if she takes my car that'll be it.

Proserpina

For Quincy, yes I was the one that was wrongfully convicted I was charged with a lawsuit for the other party's medical bills in a civil harassment restraining order,. She lied in court and the judge believe everything she said she would not listen to me the judge made my witness stand outside in the hallway and never even talk to her she would not accept any of my affidavit from my witnesses who couldn't get to to court she accused me of my thumb in which this party bit,
said that it was not hurt that bad and I didn't ha ve blood all over me and yes I did and I have witnesses to prove it she said just did t of things that I think was just out of line I wanted to transcript but it cost $250 I don't have any money. I am so scared and I'm not going to be able to use my exemptions because I liveread somewhere that you can't use exemptions in case of medical bills, medical bills must be paid I am so scared she's already messed up my life if she takes my car that'll be it.
Okay I need you to do something for me.

Can you clarify this for me please? You were sued in civil court for medical bills - correct? You haven't actually been convicted of a crime, right? She sued you, and she was awarded the judgment. It's not criminal restitution, right?

I think you're really over-worrying but I just want you to confirm that before we go any further.

quincy

I am so worried, in a civil suite (money) against me, l have been sued for the persons medical bills. $1200.00. Although she attacked me, I am SSDI & SS. I am over 65, am I going to be able to use exemptions to save my personal things but most of all my car? I owe $4487.00 still paying on it, it is worth mayby 5890.00 To used car or private maybe at the most 689.00. If so I don'T know what exemptios to use. Please help. This is so very important to me. In the state of california.
I am a bit unclear as to what is going on with you, so please correct me if I am misunderstanding any of what you have said. It sounds as if you were sued over medical bills incurred by someone who claimed you caused his/her injuries, and this person was awarded a judgment against you in the amount of $1200. The judgment comes as a result of a civil action and not a criminal action, so there would be no "conviction" on any charge - just the loss of a lawsuit.

I think you would be smart to take advantage of the legal help available to you locally. You can go over with an attorney in your area the exemptions you are able to claim to protect your income and assets. A list of exemptions is available online through the following link: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/ - I do not think you need to worry about your car but the attorney you speak to can perhaps reassure you on this.

Following are links to some information on civil judgments. The first link is to information on how the person who has the judgment against you can legally collect on the amount awarded and the second link is to information on what happens if you do not pay the judgment (with additional information on filing a claim of exemption with the court).

Collections: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1326.htm
If You Do Not Pay: http://www.courts.ca.gov/11418.htm

If there is, in addition to the civil judgment, a restraining order that has been issued against you, you need to be careful not to violate any of its terms.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Miss innocent

Replying

One of your links sends me to cocaine anonymous was that a mistake? I am sure that was a mistake. I made a mistake on car prices the most the car is worth is 6,890.00 not 689.00 I still don't really need to. Worry about the car? I have tried to get a lawyer to help me with exemptions.. But no one will help me choose, cause I DON'T HAVE MONEY, just like I want to appeal this decisions because I am innocent and I can't get help BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MONEY. So I have to suffer being charged with a civil harassment and suit that I did not do. Where is the justice in that, I hear; Well, it takes too long, all the process is too difficult, would cost you up to thousands of dollars. but yet I'm supposed to let this kind of record stay on me and none of it is true and because I want to fight I can't get any help with the appeal, and this is the law, the law works ha! The consolewomen judged wrongly It needs to be appealed. I can't get any help trying to do it my self. "why" because I don't have money!! Oh, the law suite is for 12,000.00. Thank you for replying to me, and my time for action is almost up!

Eekamouse

One of your links sends me to cocaine anonymous was that a mistake? I am sure that was a mistake. I made a mistake on car prices the most the car is worth is 6,890.00 not 689.00 I still don't really need to. Worry about the car? I have tried to get a lawyer to help me with exemptions.. But no one will help me choose, cause I DON'T HAVE MONEY, just like I want to appeal this decisions because I am innocent and I can't get help BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MONEY. So I have to suffer being charged with a civil harassment and suit that I did not do. Where is the justice in that, I hear; Well, it takes too long, all the process is too difficult, would cost you up to thousands of dollars. but yet I'm supposed to let this kind of record stay on me and none of it is true and because I want to fight I can't get any help with the appeal, and this is the law, the law works ha! The consolewomen judged wrongly It needs to be appealed. I can't get any help trying to do it my self. "why" because I don't have money!! Oh, the law suite is for 12,000.00. Thank you for replying to me, and my time for action is almost up!
What evidence did the other party submit to the court that decided the case in their favor?

quincy

Yikes! I DID give you a link to Cocaine Anonymous. That probably wasn't a whole lot of help, was it? Sorry.

I meant to provide a link to LawHelpCalifornia.org - http://lawhelpca.org - but I apparently added one "dot" too many before.

Here is another link you can try, for low cost help (I don't think it will direct you to anything odd ;)):
http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-lowcosthelp.htm (click on "Free and Low Cost Legal Help")

I understand that finding help from an attorney can be difficult when you have no money. I also understand that this lack of legal help can affect the outcome of a case. I agree with you that this is not always fair. I wish I had a solution to the problem but I don't.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">