• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k Hardship Withdrawal Denied for Lease/Purchase Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IT-Geek

Can it be construed that my civil rights are being violated when being denied a 401k hardship withdrawal to purchase my primary residence through a lease/purchase agreement?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

Can it be construed that my civil rights are being violated when being denied a 401k hardship withdrawal to purchase my primary residence through a lease/purchase agreement?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

If you didn't want to abide by the rules, you shouldn't have opened a 401(k).

Why should buying or leasing your primary residence be considered a "hardship withdrawal?"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Purchase of the employee's primary residence is a valid reason for a hardship withdrawal under the law. There are very few permissable reasons but this is one of them.

However, while the IRS says that a hardship withdrawal MAY be taken does not mean that the plan document MUST permit it. And while a purchase is a valid reason under IRS regs, I've never heard of a lease being included.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">