• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADA law question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ILoveMyToyota

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I work for a doctor that has two practices; a traditional medical office, and a separate cosmetic practice. There is a potential client who is deaf that would like to make an appointment at the cosmetic practice, and is requesting a free consultation. This potential client is also requesting an interpreter for their possible visit. We have not set up an appointment for this potential client yet, and we are wondering if we are required to provide an interpreter for this client? Or is it reasonable to expect that the potential client write to communicate? I guess my question could be phrased as: Do cosmetic medical offices fall under the requirement of the ADA laws requiring hospitals and doctors to provide an interpreter for deaf patients?
Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Has the patient asked you to provide an interpreter?

There's a reason I'm asking - I'm not being snarky.

ILoveMyToyota

I guess that would be a pertinant piece of information!

Yes, the prospective client requested an interpreter. However, they do not have an appointment, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

lealea1005

Do cosmetic medical offices fall under the requirement of the ADA laws requiring hospitals and doctors to provide an interpreter for deaf patients?
Physicians have the same responsibility as the hospitals. Deaf patients have the right to select their preferred mode of communication: interpreters, assistive listening devices, or written word.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the patient has requested an interpreter, then I believe you do have to provide one.

ILoveMyToyota

Does that law apply still if the person is not currently a patient with out office? Do we have the right to reject them as a new patient? I don't know if it matters, but this is a cosmetic office, and the consultations are free... So, in essence, we will be paying the prospective client to see them.

And thank you so much for your advice so far, it is appreciated. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">