• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Additional Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IamAnyasMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA I did make a reply in my original comment, however, I will do it here.

I am classified as a disabled person. I collect SSDI, have done so since 12/99. I spoke with a supervisor last week when I made my complaint, the supervisor had said I did not need to worry about retaliation from the driver "she won't bother you anymore". I thought this was over with, it wasn't/isn't. When I said I would file an ADA complaint, they said they would make sure I didn't have any more problems on the bus. I don't feel comfortable calling again and speaking with anyone as I feel the whole city (republic) of Roseville is against me. Should I call again? I feel they are attempting to build a 'case' against me to have me permanently removed from the public transportation. OK, I know my dog is big, however, the aisle isn't big enough for a 95# dog to be comfortable. If she was allowed to sit on the seat next to me, there wouldn't be a problem. I make my dog sit as close to me as possible, unfortunately, I do have feet and am unable to have the circulation cut off for any amount of time. I need to get around and am not able to walk very long distances. I have a physician statement for my need of a Service Dog.

Believe me, if I could afford a vehicle, I would have one.

Thank you again for any additional assistance you are able to provide.
PLEASE, stop with the negativity and I DO NOT DETEST MEN! Why would this comment even of been made?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA I did make a reply in my original comment, however, I will do it here.

I am classified as a disabled person. I collect SSDI, have done so since 12/99. I spoke with a supervisor last week when I made my complaint, the supervisor had said I did not need to worry about retaliation from the driver "she won't bother you anymore". I thought this was over with, it wasn't/isn't. When I said I would file an ADA complaint, they said they would make sure I didn't have any more problems on the bus. I don't feel comfortable calling again and speaking with anyone as I feel the whole city (republic) of Roseville is against me. Should I call again? I feel they are attempting to build a 'case' against me to have me permanently removed from the public transportation. OK, I know my dog is big, however, the aisle isn't big enough for a 95# dog to be comfortable. If she was allowed to sit on the seat next to me, there wouldn't be a problem. I make my dog sit as close to me as possible, unfortunately, I do have feet and am unable to have the circulation cut off for any amount of time. I need to get around and am not able to walk very long distances. I have a physician statement for my need of a Service Dog.

Believe me, if I could afford a vehicle, I would have one.

Thank you again for any additional assistance you are able to provide.
PLEASE, stop with the negativity and I DO NOT DETEST MEN! Why would this comment even of been made?

Please just add this to your thread.

And you might want to delete the other comments.

CdwJava

The problem you have is that the transit system did not approve of the size of your service animal, you did. A 95 lb. dog is a big dog! If you were destined to use public transit you should have chosen a dog that would have been more amenable to that mode of transportation. They also have an obligation to the safety of all their passengers, and trying to maneuver around a dog in an aisle can be a difficult thing - especially if you are elderly, disabled, or even a child. I don't know that you can win this fight even if you can manage to find an attorney to take the case.

But, before you can even begin to make a claim or sue, you will have to show that you made reasonable efforts to resolve the problem. Perhaps request a letter from the supervisor or management that specifically states that it is permissible for you to allow your dog to remain in the aisle during your transit. If the bosses agree to that, then the driver will have little to say on the matter. However, I doubt that they will agree to permit the dog to obstruct the aisle like that.

Another question ... is this a trained and certified service dog? If it is a "therapy dog" it does not carry the same legal weight. A companion is not going to cut it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">