• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Guardianship for New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aanginator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have a friend that is on Social Security Disability and around November of 2012 his checks started being sent to Department of Social Services. It was stated when he had visited Social Security that a court had to appoint a guardian but never was summoned to court about it. Even was told to see a Psychologist (I'm sure that's what he had to do) to determine if he was able handle his own funds and it was determined that he was. Although it is still being sent to DSS even after that and if there was supposed to be a court hearing of any sort was he supposed to be notified of such?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have a friend that is on Social Security Disability and around November of 2012 his checks started being sent to Department of Social Services. It was stated when he had visited Social Security that a court had to appoint a guardian but never was summoned to court about it. Even was told to see a Psychologist (I'm sure that's what he had to do) to determine if he was able handle his own funds and it was determined that he was. Although it is still being sent to DSS even after that and if there was supposed to be a court hearing of any sort was he supposed to be notified of such?
I am unclear what exactly is going on with your friend but generally, if there is a court hearing involving a party, the party will be notified of the hearing. Does your friend have a court-appointed guardian at this point in time, to handle his financial affairs for him?

On this forum, it is usually easiest for volunteers to answer questions if the person asking the questions is the one who has the legal concern. Family, friends and acquaintances often do not have the facts available that are necessary for any of us to provide adequate advice or direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">