• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult legal name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sr5jcp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas. I want to legally change my last name. I went to court, payed the 165 dollar filing fee and met with the judge. The reasoning I put down on the paperwork was "to match my longterm partners last name" The judge told me he's never changed anyone's last name for that reason and that I should just get married if I wanted it changed for that reason. (For personal beliefs I do not believe in marriage) I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and our son has his last name and I would like for all of our last names to be the same. I left with no answer as the judge told me he'd look into it before making a decision. I left in tears as he pretended to look through books to see if my reasoning was ok for a name change. I am not hiding or in any legal trouble and feel very upset and like it is my right to change name to whatever I want. If, this judge comes back and tells me no do I have the right to appeal this? Isn't it my right to change my name to whatever I want?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas. I want to legally change my last name. I went to court, payed the 165 dollar filing fee and met with the judge. The reasoning I put down on the paperwork was "to match my longterm partners last name" The judge told me he's never changed anyone's last name for that reason and that I should just get married if I wanted it changed for that reason. (For personal beliefs I do not believe in marriage) I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and our son has his last name and I would like for all of our last names to be the same. I left with no answer as the judge told me he'd look into it before making a decision. I left in tears as he pretended to look through books to see if my reasoning was ok for a name change. I am not hiding or in any legal trouble and feel very upset and like it is my right to change name to whatever I want. If, this judge comes back and tells me no do I have the right to appeal this? Isn't it my right to change my name to whatever I want?
It is up to the judge's discretion. Wait and see what the judge orders before you worry too much.

Proserpina

This is from Arkansas's Legal Aid service, and the implication is that although it's usually approved the judge actually does have the authority to deny the change.

http://www.arlegalservices.org/system/files/FSNamechangeDirections.pdf

When you get a decision, come back and let us know.

RRevak

The only reason I can see a judge holding back is the idea OP may attempt to hold herself out as married while not actually being married. Its a stretch, but its Arkansas after all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">