• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from store ,Guilt by association, Defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momsgirl2727

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? RI
A friend of mine had neck surgery and was unable to drive himself asked me if I could give him a ride to the local convenience store. He was laid up for several weeks. So over that course of time I had driven him there 3 times.
When he was feeling better he was able to drive himself, and that was that.
About a week later I went into the store to pick up milk, when the supervisor walked right up to me, and stated that I am banned from the store, and was not allowed back in EVER. I WAS MORTIFIED!!!!
There were several people in the store who's faces were familiar, including my next door neighbor with her two teenage children. As embarrassing as it was to ask, I had to find out why? He told me that he caught my HUSBAND shoplifting and that we were not allowed in the store ever again? I tried to explain to him several times that I was not married and that he is just a friend, but he wouldn't listen? This supervisor was hired two weeks prior?
I have lived in this neighborhood since 1963, and have shopped at this convenience store from the day they opened it 20 years ago.
I have a reputation in the community that I now feel is now damaged.
Is this legal? Do I have any legal recourse?

JETX

momsgirl2727 said:
I have a reputation in the community that I now feel is now damaged. Is this legal?
Yes, it is absolutely legal. The owner of any property is allowed to restrict or ban access at their will, as long as it is not done in a discriminatory manner (race, religion, etc.).

Do I have any legal recourse?
No. Though it was clearly a misunderstanding as to this person being your husband or not, their conduct is not actionable.

zippysgoddess

JetX is correct. I just recently asked a question on what might happen if I was shopping in a store with a friend who was stealing, when I found out I could be held liable or banned for her actions, that ended my shopping trips with her. Unfortunately, guilty by association does happen. I would never, ever give that guy a ride again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">