• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bingo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ameyers6

florida

ever since i have become disabled i have enjoyed playing bingo at a mobile park which is open to the public.
before bingo started one night i was verbally attacked by someone who does not run bingo or play bingo asking why i was at the park and that i couldnt play bingo there.
He and his wife kept getting more obnoxious and cursing at me so i gave them the finger. The next week i was told that i could not come to bingo because they complained to the guy who ran it
Can they do this or can i go back

Proserpina

florida

ever since i have become disabled i have enjoyed playing bingo at a mobile park which is open to the public.
before bingo started one night i was verbally attacked by someone who does not run bingo or play bingo asking why i was at the park and that i couldnt play bingo there.
He and his wife kept getting more obnoxious and cursing at me so i gave them the finger. The next week i was told that i could not come to bingo because they complained to the guy who ran it

You have no inherent right to go to bingo. "Open to the public" doesn't mean "We can't refuse anyone entry". Your options are limited:

1. Apologize profusely to the couple and the guy who runs the bingo and ask very politely if you can return

2. Find somewhere else.

ameyers6

see i thought that in order to be refused you had to start trouble in the bingo hall or be disruptive in there

justalayman

see i thought that in order to be refused you had to start trouble in the bingo hall or be disruptive in there
It's private property. The owner/controller of the property can deny you admittance for any or no reason as long as it is not for an illegal reason (race, ethnicity, religion, and so on)

swalsh411

It's private property. The owner/controller of the property can deny you admittance for any or no reason as long as it is not for an illegal reason (race, ethnicity, religion, and so on)
That depends. Some country clubs (by invitation only) do not allow women, blacks, jews, etc and that's legal. But the difference there is that they do not advertise themself and solicit the public to join/participate.

quincy

There is a right of free association which allows for discrimination based on gender, religion, race and the like, but several factors are looked at when determining if a group, club or organization is operating legally within discrimination laws or instead are trying to circumvent them illegally.

There was a discussion on this in a 2007 thread and, although the thread addresses a New York concern and not a Florida issue, the information provided in the thread could potentially clarify the last two posts. In other words, even if a club does not advertise to the public or solicit the public, and those might be indicators of the club's intent to keep it private and exclusive, that still may not make the club's operation legal.

To access the thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-rights-discrimination-law-101/country-club-discrimination-386587.html.

This does not answer ameyers6's question, but the question was already answered correctly in Posts 2 and 4.

Last edited:

Kruniac

florida

Not enough information here at all.

1: Who is this someone in relation to you? Someone that just doesn't like you? Hard to believe a random person and their wife would say "What are you doing here? You can't play bingo here."

2: Why were they getting more obnoxious and cursing at you? So after this venomous couple decided to (for no reason) ask you what you were doing there and that you couldn't play bingo there, they just started getting obnoxious and began cursing at you? That doesn't make any sense at all.

3: I'm almost positive you didn't get barred from bingo because you flipped off two HORRIBLY EVIL people. Again, there is more to this story.

Seriously. More information. For instance.

"I was sitting at this park where bingo was held, when a man and woman approached me. They asked me "What are you doing here?" I responded by saying, "About to get down with some bingo."

That's describing a chain of events. You go from one event to another in the order they occurred. Telling me "SO THESE TWO PEOPLE SAID I COULDN'T BE THERE AND THEY CURSED AND I GAVE THEM THE FINGER AND GOT BANNED FROM BINGO" doesn't make any sense at all.

quincy

... That's describing a chain of events. You go from one event to another in the order they occurred. Telling me "SO THESE TWO PEOPLE SAID I COULDN'T BE THERE AND THEY CURSED AND I GAVE THEM THE FINGER AND GOT BANNED FROM BINGO" doesn't make any sense at all.
You are right that the situation as described doesn't make much sense, Kruniac, but the legal reality in all likelihood stays the same. See Proserpina's posts (#2 and #4) to see why the backstory should make little difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">