• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Body Odor issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil96

What is the name of your state? VA

My question is what are the legal limits/rights about body odor?
I work in HR and I recently had to tell someone that they had body odor. I smelled this person and I felt they didnot stink, but my boss said, they were several complaints about this guy and I had to tell him before he could come back tomorrow.
I feel this is mean to do and I didn't want to offend the man by telling him, I think it is no right of anyones to tell him he stinks.
The man became very angry at me and told me he showers everyday and it is a tough job and he can't help sweating because he is working hard...
Now I feel terrible, but I would like to know what exactly is the law (if any) for this. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law that says you cannot tell someone that their odor is offensive. Nor is there any law that says he has the right to stink with no repercussions.

The ONLY thing that might even remotely touch the law is if the employee then goes on to tell you that there is either a medical or a religious reason for the odor. (Yes, I've had both come up in my 25 years in HR.) But minus a medical or a religous reason, you are not being mean; you did not violate any of his rights; neither you nor your boss broke any laws, and he can either "clean up his act" or take the consequences.

The employees who have to work with him and smell him have rights also.

BelizeBreeze

Have you SMELLED some of your female co-workers as their perfume follows them for about 20 feet????

Talk about an odor... :eek:

HomeGuru

BelizeBreeze said:
Have you SMELLED some of your female co-workers as their perfume follows them for about 20 feet????

Talk about an odor... :eek:

**A: they must be wearing the new fragrance "Essence of Skunk"
And if you think that's bad, try smelling "Essence of Skank"

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: they must be wearing the new fragrance "Essence of Skunk"
And if you think that's bad, try smelling "Essence of Skank"
Hey, essence of skank is quite tasty in the lower 48 ;)

dallas702

Geez, if you can't handle a simple problem like that you need to change careers. Since he claims he showers every day, and that's not helping, suggest to him that he look at his diet. Maybe those garlic and onion sandwiches are oozing out his pores. Maybe you'd be doing him a huge favor by having him see a doctor. Heavy body odor can be a symptom of diabetes or other diseases.

Maybe his soap is crap. Who knows?

Just be thankful your not the person at my job that was being complained on for being well endowed and people complained they could see how big he was. How do you tone that down?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AWorkOfArt said:
Just be thankful your not the person at my job that was being complained on for being well endowed and people complained they could see how big he was. How do you tone that down?

My response:

Like I do. The three-fold method and a rubber band.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">