• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the employer search me or my property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

This is hypothetical, but I'd simply be interested in knowing the answer for knowledge's sake. If an employer prohibits an item (firearms for example) on their property, including the parking lot (stored in employee's vehicle), then they obviously can have that right. It's the employer's property and they make the rules.

However, let's say somebody violates those rules, but doesn't have a prohibited item in plain view. How would the employer ever find out? Could they conduct random searches of employee's and their property?

Ozark_Sophist

My old employor had the local LE run the drug dogs through the parking lot at work. (Employer bought most of the K-9s as part of a community service program)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">